• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Starrett Cylinder Gage

Tool

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Picked up a cylinder gage. Looks to be in nice shape.

Any opinions on what it's actual retail value may be? It's a bit of an outlier for me but perhaps others have a wider breadth of experience to draw on.

Seems to have all parts, other than paperwork, and moves freely.

TIA!

IMG_5916.JPG
IMG_5915.JPG IMG_5917.JPG

Gearhead88

Super User
I've looked at them before , .001" is a fairly coarse measurement , so it's not something I'd want in my toolbox.

For the work I do thats not close enough ,when honing engine cylinders measurements need to be more precise than .001" .

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
never seen one either. how do you set it up?
Thanks fore the video Bill.

I had a busy week and just took pictures to post. But the video does a better job anyway.

A bit dated, as the current model from Starrett list for $666 US. Devil of a price if you ask me. ;o)

Mine is fully functional, and includes all 4 rods.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Retail value will probably be quite low as to compared to what one would guess from the list price. I.e. item is useful to very, very few people. For most pp its just a cool item.

For example I have a precise measuring gage for 40 taper CNC. Looks new. Retail is few 1000. I be lucky to get 10 cents on a dollar.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Retail value will probably be quite low as to compared to what one would guess from the list price. I.e. item is useful to very, very few people. For most pp its just a cool item.

For example I have a precise measuring gage for 40 taper CNC. Looks new. Retail is few 1000. I be lucky to get 10 cents on a dollar.
I have that impression based on what I've heard so far. Gonna look cool on my dresser!!!

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Is this similar to what they are using here?
Around the 8 minute mark.
Love this channel.

Last edited:

Bruce Rossiter

The gauge used in the video is an Ames gauge and if you look closely at the handle, it's designed to be used as a setting fixture. There's a number of shims in the handle to obtain a variety of dimensions.