• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Standard Modern 2000 Lathe $2,600 Richmond Hill

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Unfortunately i presently don't have any method of picking that up.

Logically, you have to have a way to get it home at some point, else you'll never get a lathe and its moot. Even if that way is calling a machinery mover and saying go. So its just a matter of figuring that out in advance and being ready to pull the trigger.

Its not even about getting a hot price. Nice makes/models of lathes in good shape with buckets of tooling usually go quickly, even if fully priced. And thats what you want, at least imo. Personally I would wait and be prepared to pay a lot more for one with tons of tooling. Personal preference. I'm as cheap as they come, but I'm done with futzing about for years collecting all the tooling....it wastes huge amounts of time and the interim lack constantly stands in the way of getting things done.

juan1

Thank you all for you’re very helpful replies. Lots of wisdom here

I contacted the seller right after it was posted. I managed to get a truck and trailer and asked the seller to call me with details about location and loading. I never heard back from him. In the meantime, that’s when i found out the 2000 series might not swing 12”, hence my desperate hope that i could somehow make it work. The 11 3/4” gizmos are one of the main things i wanted to get a lathe for. Now, something came up and i’m leaving town for a week so i’ll be passing on this lathe, which i realize is best

BTW, the seller informed me that the motor is not 410V but 110v single phase if anyones interested in the lathe.

@Mcgyver when i said i do’t have a means of picking it up, i meant this week. It was a perfect storm of all methods i’d normal use being tied up. I’m ready to pull the trigger quickly, as i’ve seen deals disappear almost immediately. I even have my budget in cash on hand to strike fast. Also, i’m going to take your advise and look for one with tooling. I realized that even with the “cheap” lathe, i’d need to add a lot to even do my basic projects.

Thanks all, my quest for a bigger, well tooled machine begins.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thank you all for you’re very helpful replies. Lots of wisdom here

I contacted the seller right after it was posted. I managed to get a truck and trailer and asked the seller to call me with details about location and loading. I never heard back from him. In the meantime, that’s when i found out the 2000 series might not swing 12”, hence my desperate hope that i could somehow make it work. The 11 3/4” gizmos are one of the main things i wanted to get a lathe for. Now, something came up and i’m leaving town for a week so i’ll be passing on this lathe, which i realize is best

BTW, the seller informed me that the motor is not 410V but 110v single phase if anyones interested in the lathe.

@Mcgyver when i said i do’t have a means of picking it up, i meant this week. It was a perfect storm of all methods i’d normal use being tied up. I’m ready to pull the trigger quickly, as i’ve seen deals disappear almost immediately. I even have my budget in cash on hand to strike fast. Also, i’m going to take your advise and look for one with tooling. I realized that even with the “cheap” lathe, i’d need to add a lot to even do my basic projects.

Thanks all, my quest for a bigger, well tooled machine begins.

Sounds like you know what you are doing. Even your choice of referring to your "gizmos" in the plural tense gives me comfort.

Sometimes guys like me lose connection with reality. If you are planning to make enough of these gizmos of yours to totally justify the cost of a dedicated lathe all on their own, then perhaps cutting the ways or removing a bed gap makes sense. You just have to be prepared to give it away or scrap it when you are done with it.

If your gizmos don't justify the cost all on their own, then I'm back to don't do it.

But now I'm curious. What are these Gizmos? PM me if that makes more sense.