• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Standard Modern 2000 Lathe $2,600 Richmond Hill

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks in pretty nice shape!

4ef49fca-623f-4038-89b5-5efff452e605

Brent H

Ultra Member
Looks nice - good price and with a mill attachment. The 410 volt can be solved with a VFD - chances are it may have a 220/440 motor on it anyway!

Good luck fellows!!

juan1

Thats just what i'm looking for. Unfortunately i presently don't have any method of picking that up. Any member in that area interested in dragging that to ottawa for a couple hundred bucks?

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
NOT FAIR! I got all excited when I saw the listing on the main form page: "Standard Modern 2000 Lathe $2,600 Richmond". Should have known there was a Richmond _Hill_ in Ontario somewhere based on the price.

juan1

Does anyone know the actual swing for this model? I always thought they were capable of 13" but the "internet" says the 2000 series swings less. I need 11 3/4".

Brent H

Ultra Member
@juan1 : @architect has this lathe as well as @YotaBota - they should be able to give you the actual measured swing. The 10/12 versions changed to the 11/13 versions - with the 10 actually being able to swing 11 and the 12 able to swing 13 type thing.

juan1

Thanks,
Also, for those how have similar lathes...If it really only can swing 11", do you think i'd be able to carve out a notch, say 3/8" on each side of the bed to allow turning of a 11 3/4" disk, 3 inches thick?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Juan...buy the lathe that fits your requirements, a notch cut would be a "butcher job" to an otherwise usable machine that will irreparably limit the travel of your cross slide...you probably wouldnt get the cutting tool point as far back as required even to make a cut on your intended workpiece.
Even a
Taiwanese lathe with a removable saddle would be a much preferable option but I will add that the only time I removed the saddle from the bed of my machine it was an arduous job getting it fitting back where I thought it was a usable track again...gauging & paint scraping took a long while....they just dont "fall back in place".

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a more modern version of this lathe: SM1120.

34E994BF-FC42-409E-ACBC-2C7939CBD24C.jpeg

That is a 12” face plate on the spindle.

2B2E6DF7-6537-4BDC-A852-413F66B276E9.jpeg

There is just over 1/2” clearance to the ways on the bottom. Therefore, this lathe will swing 13” (Center height 6.5” over the ways).

D31E21C0-6087-479B-82D8-8E6126718228.jpeg

I believe the lathe in question will also swing 13”.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks,
Also, for those how have similar lathes...If it really only can swing 11", do you think i'd be able to carve out a notch, say 3/8" on each side of the bed to allow turning of a 11 3/4" disk, 3 inches thick?

I am TOTALLY on the same page as @historicalarms . I happen to have a gap bed lathe. I have never removed the gap and never will. If my lathe as is won't do the job at hand without removing the gap, then the job will go elsewhere.

Your situation seems different. It's even worse! There is no way in Hell I would ever grind any clearance into a bed on anybody's lathe let alone my own. Knock that crazy idea right out of your head!

However, there is a very good chance the lathe in question has the clearance you need. If necessary PM a few members like @architect & @YotaBota who have one and/or search on the lathe model to find other members with one and ask them to measure theirs for you.

In any event, unless you plan to make a million of these 11-3/4" gizmos of yours, I wouldn't fuss over it. Buy the lathe you want and go visit another member with a bigger lathe to make the part for you.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
According to the manual, https://standardmodernlathes.com/docs/manuals/standard-modern-utilathe-11-13-inch-manual.pdf, there is a 1" difference in height, from floor to center of the spindle, between the 11" and 13" lathes so the 11" may not be able to swing anything bigger. The newer 1120/1340 models show the same heights between the floor and center of the spindle.
I know my newer 1120 will swing 13" but the utilathe I don't know. We need someone with the 11" Utilathe to chime in here.
Thank you Standard Modern for keeping the manuals online for free.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If in decent condition its a great deal. It would not be still available here in Alberta for that price after few hours.

Ya, that's kinda my thinking even here in Ontario. If I were @juan1 looking for a nice lathe, that would be on my trailer already and I would not worry about whether or not it could swing 11-3/4. I'd simply find someone with a lathe that could for my 11-3/4" job.

Let's be serious here, how many of us really need the full swing and even if we do, it's not very often.

Ya, that's kinda my thinking even here in Ontario. If I were @juan1 looking for a nice lathe, that would be on my trailer already and I would not worry about whether or not it could swing 11-3/4. I'd simply find someone with a lathe that could for my 11-3/4" job.

Let's be serious here, how many of us really need the full swing and even if we do, it's not very often.
And I find that when I do start approaching the limits of mine, the tooling set ups tend to get much more interesting at a time when you really want something just a little bit less "interesting". Lol:oops::rolleyes:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
And I find that when I do start approaching the limits of mine, the tooling set ups tend to get much more interesting at a time when you really want something just a little bit less "interesting". Lol:oops::rolleyes:

I used a laughing emojii for that. But it could just as easily have been a scared poopless or right on emojii too.

The one and only job I did at my swing limits required me to send my Carriage, Cross-Slide, compound, and tool holder off for yoga lessons......:eek: