• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Stand Design for benchtop Mill- looking for feedback

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Use what you can to build a stand that is sturdy and adjustable to suit your space.
Unistrut for braces and HSS can provide adequate machinery frames If the load is matched to the size of the beams and bracing.

When I was building large process equipment I once used support beams of 6x10” HSS with 6x1” Flatbar stitch welded to the Top & Bottom. The additional Flatbars added to the Section Modulus of the beams and stiffness that limited the ‘fully loaded beam deflection‘ to 0.010”.
This ensured the alignment of the process tooling along an 11 foot path of the Former.

The key is to make the supporting framework so that you can add to it more tooling that may be of use in your future plans. Flexibility in the initial design will keep you inventing.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
View attachment 27311

Front view with the table moved all the way to the left, the power feed just overhangs the end of the table:
View attachment 27312

(The Human Model is about 20mm shorter than I am, so that's why it's not sitting quite on the floor slab)
(I made the model for the Mill in Fusion 360. It doesn't include all details, though since I like modelling I made it more complicated than it needs to be...)
(The PM-835TV weighs about 750lbs (340kg), so I think the stand will ultimately end up being quite substantial. About the only thing that is potentially set in stone is that I've got some 2"x2"x1/4" thick tubing for the cross members)
This is Fusion 360? I would have sworn it was Sketchup. Your drawing has a very sketchup feel to it. @StevSmar HOW OH HOW did you add dimensions to the 3d View? I don't know how to do that.

1668990608910.png

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
HOW did you add dimensions to the 3d View?
The dimensions are in the sketch. You right click on the sketch in the left navigation tree and chose “show dimension”. Then when the sketch is on, you see the dimension too (Even when you aren’t editing the sketch).

The best part is that when the dimensions are turned on like this, you can edit them without going into the sketch!