Tips/Techniques Square holes

Tips/Techniques

KeeponDragon

Super User
drilling a square hole

So a buddy found this on crackbook and shared with me.
What a neat process.
I didn't know that tail stocks can be powered. But I also shouldn't be surprised, that they can be powered.
The sharpening of the 3 sided file looks pretty intrinsic to the result. Grind it wrong an you have rectangular holes? :p

trevj

Ultra Member
I get the impression that the 'Facebook shorts' video first posted, the drill bit is driven, likely at 3/4 speed of the chuck. Watching it closely, you can see that the bit is pretty solidly fixed on the axis of the part that it is drilling, and it appears to only turn when the chuck turns. A fella would have to find a better full video to confirm, but it looks a lot like one of the Russian area guys that I have seen some neat machining videos from, he does a lot of stuff with a geared drive between the chuck and tailstock, or chuck and toolpost.

Searched the Name Mehamozg, on youtube, and sure enough...
Gonna suggest a fresh cuppa coffee, turn on the somewhat janky Closed Captions with auto translate, and be prepared to see ways to make a lathe do things that you might have never considered before!

The Watts drill shown in the later youtube video posted by @PeterT used a bushing and a floating drill bit, which is a system I was at least a little familiar with.