• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Spring or star washer question

DaniG

I have come across this washer—not sure what to call it—which is securing a peg that joins two plates of metal in a parallel plain. Both the peg and washer swivel, but the washer has a central tab that seems to be sitting in a channel that goes around the circumference of the peg. I’d like to remove the washer to separate the plates of metal. Is it possible to remove this washer? If so, how? And if it is removed, can the washer be reused or would removal damage it? Thanks for any help.
img_5017-jpeg.41192

Attachments

• IMG_5017.jpeg
    IMG_5017.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 151

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have come across this washer—not sure what to call it—which is securing a peg that joins two plates of metal in a parallel plain. Both the peg and washer swivel, but the washer has a central tab that seems to be sitting in a channel that goes around the circumference of the peg. I’d like to remove the washer to separate the plates of metal. Is it possible to remove this washer? If so, how? And if it is removed, can the washer be reused or would removal damage it? Thanks for any help.

They are meant to be removed and reused.

You can also remove them with a small flat screwdriver in either one of the two open slots and then turn the blade to lever them off. Sometimes I also use a pair of flat nosed pliers to push on the two ends and the post to push the clip off or at least get it started so you can pull it off or wedge it off.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Another tip to help with the space launch mishap.

Those clips are spring steel. They are very hard. You can sometimes use a very small pair of vice grips to gently hold the clip while you remove it so it doesn't launch itself across the shop.

Regardless of how you do it, after you lose one, you will be more careful the next time. ;)

If you do lose one, many old style hardware stores and most farm equipment places have a tray of different sizes under the counter.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
An appropriate sized flat bladed screwdriver inserted in one of the openings and twisted will pry it lose. There will be a small window of opportunity to pry it open just enough that you can finish with your finger or needle nose pliers and retain the clip, but if you go too far it will spring into another dimension never to be seen again. May luck forever be on your side.

Slip joint pliers work at getting those small ones off too, just hook one jaw over the shaft, and the other over the open end and squeeze. You should then be able to angle the pliers "just so" you can then grab the clip and wiggle it free. Depends on the shaft size, but that one should be doable.

trlvn

Ultra Member
These things seem to go by various names. BoltsPlus calls them "E-CLIPS" which is part of the Retaining Ring category:

They only show a few sizes on the web site but they may have more actually in stock. Also appears they sell an assortment box.

On the Spaenaur site, I found a page for metric sizes:

It says assortments are listed on page A99 but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader. ;)

Craig

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
You boys are too kind, referring to those clips as you are...in the real world they are referred to by every level of swear word in existence by every mechanic that has encountered one....even when you learn how to handle them without issue, they still retain their proper place in the language of choice.

mbond

Premium Member
I have found the holding a cloth or glove over the clip does a good job of 'retaining' these retaining clips as you pry them off. I'm sure that there is a proper tool, but whenever I have done it, I have used a slot screw driver

I have found the holding a cloth or glove over the clip does a good job of 'retaining' these retaining clips as you pry them off. I'm sure that there is a proper tool, but whenever I have done it, I have used a slot screw driver
I do the same with the rag, but I usually use a chainsaw bar wrench rather than a screwdriver. I find the tee handle gives me a little better control over its release....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I do the same with the rag, but I usually use a chainsaw bar wrench rather than a screwdriver. I find the tee handle gives me a little better control over its release....

Figures you would have a teeny tiny chainsaw....... You must cut flowers with that?

The chainsaw wrench for my saws would never fit any clip I ever saw. But if you do happen to have a big clip, they are prolly perfect!

Mostly just having fun. It's a good idea!

Bandit

Super User
If'n the chain saw has less then an eight ft. bar, it's a small one! My father took the last 2 man saws he had and run over them with a D7 many times, then buried them deep with the cat. The first saw I ran/ used was a stil with I think about a 40 inch bar, I was 10 years old. Now I am happy with a 20 incher, and that hasn't run since I left B.C. ( still have a 28 inch Husky too.)
Most all of the e-clips/circlips etc. are referred to as f$$en clips after they leave for another dimension, never to be seen again, unless it's a big one, which still will be hard to find. And yes cover with a rag, glove etc. and put the safety glasses on. Yes, spares do lessen the likelihood of them migrating.

fixerup

Super User
Yesterday I restored 4 scissor jack that used 16 E-clips each. I removed a total of 64 using a flat screwdriver while covering the E-clip with my finger tips. I am missing only one, it dropped on the floor and got lost in my garage floor mess.
These E-clips were not the high quality spring steel type, so much easier to remove and to install. Surprisingly that is all what's holding these scissor jack together and those jack are rated to 30kg. It's an effective simple, cheap way to assemble them. 20231202_113129.jpg

Tecnico

(Dave)
Just to make your life easier, those clips come in metric and imperial so you have to learn to swear at them in several languages......

Like everyone said, carefully slide them to the side, out of the groove on the pin and put something over them to restrict how far they fly. Oh, and in case you're wondering, they're also used for hearing tests. If you can track where they bounce along their trajectory your hearing is pretty good!

Sliding them back on is a snap in comparison, pull them in with a pair of pliers or just push them in place with something like a wide screwdriver. The same advice about flying E-clips still applies! Maybe a wad of masking duct tape is worth a try.

D :cool: