Spindle Bearing Oil

pedgaro

I just bought a 1965 Hercus 9AR metal lathe (South Bend 9AR) The Lubrication Chart for the older lathes with bronze sleeve spindle bushings recommends A Oil - SAE 10. This lathe has Timken 18685 Tapered Roller Bearings. Does anyone know what oil is recommended for these bearings?

Jswain

Joe
I use 10w hydraulic oil for the spindle on my southbend. 20w(I mix 10&30w because I couldn't get any 20w locally)for the countershaft and a few other points and way oil for everything else.

Last edited:

trlvn

Ultra Member
@pedgaro Welcome! Can you share some pics of your lathe? If you feel like it, can you share a little about what you intend to do with it?

Craig
Oakville, ON

Grant T

I have the same machine and expect to clean it up and paint it in the near future. Were you able to find the right color or a close match? Great machine all the South Bend parts seem to interchange.
Grant

Danzo187

Premium Member
I just bought a 1965 Hercus 9AR metal lathe (South Bend 9AR) The Lubrication Chart for the older lathes with bronze sleeve spindle bushings recommends A Oil - SAE 10. This lathe has Timken 18685 Tapered Roller Bearings. Does anyone know what oil is recommended for these bearings?
my Standard Modern uses 30 WT, of course at an industrial supply house its $40 a gallon.
Walmart sells a 30WT non detergent gear oil for $4.20 a quart,17 bucks and my gearbox is full.
do not use car oil, it keeps the crud suspended in the oil and that of course just goes through those very expensive tapered roller bearings!

pedgaro

I have the same machine and expect to clean it up and paint it in the near future. Were you able to find the right color or a close match? Great machine all the South Bend parts seem to interchange.
Grant
No, I just found a colour I liked for my shop machines, I’m working on a 12” DeWalt Radial Arm Saw that I will paint the same colour. I ordered a Cross Slide Feed Nut for a South Bend 9 lathe from Amazon.ca, it did not fit my Hercus 9AR. Now I’m waiting for parts from Australian Metalworking Hobbyist. Hercus 9AR.jpeg

pedgaro

my Standard Modern uses 30 WT, of course at an industrial supply house its $40 a gallon.
Walmart sells a 30WT non detergent gear oil for $4.20 a quart,17 bucks and my gearbox is full.
do not use car oil, it keeps the crud suspended in the oil and that of course just goes through those very expensive tapered roller bearings!
I've decided to go with oils I have, Spindle and Clutch Oil 3-IN-ONE Motor Oil SAE 20 (for 1/4 HP Motors or Larger), for C Oil I have Castrol SAE 30 Non Detergent Machine oil and for Way Oil I’m going to try chainsaw SAE 30 bar and chain oil, I think it should be similar to the recommended Way Oil. KBC Tool and Machinery lists all the recommended oils on their website under Industrial Oils at less than $30 cdn a gallon..

Garyt

That looks amazing please never use it so it will always be a show piece. Just kidding the sooner it is covered in chips the better.
Gary