Spin casting aluminum

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
We built a ‘Lost Wax’ vacuum moulding line for an Ontario company.
They were producing complex alloy ‘impellers’ for high RPM centrifugal pumps.
The investment casting shells were filled with molten metal under a vacuum to reduce gas entrapment and endure the parts were quickly filled to improve detail integrity.
As a test product to prove the tolerances achievable, we were producing ‘slip fit’ Woodruff keys for assembly into pump shafts.
It was the first time that I saw a ‘cast part’ with .0002” precision.

I've designed and built some molds for aluminium casting for one of my own products years ago. An approximate 5% allowance must be made to allow for shrinkage. To build the wooden plugs for sand molds the owner of the Casting shop share some of txt books and knowledge with me. After the first casting the I was offered a job building plugs as it is an art form and they always were looking for plug builders, never took up him up in it.

Why I built them, $2k plus for the plugs was well outside my budget.

trevj

Ultra Member
I have known a couple patternmakers, and their tooling is...specific! Shrinkage scales, either looking like a plain old ruler, or like an Architects Scale, are often used so that the dimensions can be simply read off the scale directly, rather than having to convert by the shrinkage factor each time.

The shrink rates are VERY specific, and even in a family of casting alloys, can vary enough to bite you in the butt, so it is important to know pretty much as exact as possible, what alloy will be used.

The one fella said that the way you qualified to become a sand crab at the foundry, was you had to prove you really COULD break an anvil, with a rubber mallet! This was his observation, basd on the damage they were able to do to the patterns he built, and as often, rebuilt!

I will admit one of the advantages I had was I had a chance to get in the big casting shops in Orillia many years ago and see all the original plugs and their plug shop and see the production methods.

Again a little insight goes a far way.

I will admit one of the advantages I had was I had a chance to get in the big casting shops in Orillia many years ago and see all the original plugs archived (including a couple of ski lift bull gears) and their plug shop and see the production methods.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
One of my sons makes jewelry. Centrifugal lost wax with silver. Spring loaded rotary arm full of molten silver. Quite a bit of sphincter-clenching the first time we tried it in my shop.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I will admit one of the advantages I had was I had a chance to get in the big casting shops in Orillia many years ago and see all the original plugs archived (including a couple of ski lift bull gears) and their plug shop and see the production methods.
What exactly are 'plugs'?

Tom O

Ultra Member
Shrink rules are few and far between and I’ve never used a pattern board with the pattern on each side just split pattern.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Much like for 3D printing where the secret is to be able to draw using CAD or be stuck downloading whatever someone else has done, for casting the secret is pattern making. Make good patterns and minimal machining is required and the castings are pretty.

I've done two sided pattern boards. This is a simpler one with just the well for the initial metal at the bottom of the sprue:
1689377365980.png

And the other side of the pattern board with the sprue set in place.
1689377428597.png

Riser is placed on top o the screw head when the green sand is packed in. They were for the JGRO CNC router to hold motors and the end of the lead screw in ball bearings.
CNCDriveParts.jpg

Plugs, patterns all the same.

Cores are different as they are separate pieces inserted into the molds allowing for more complex internals in one casting.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've heard it used extensively in composites mold making work. Or Male & Female... well lets not get into that.

1689400058524.png

trevj

Ultra Member
Plugs, patterns all the same.

Cores are different as they are separate pieces inserted into the molds allowing for more complex internals in one casting.
Yeah, about that... No.

There is a very specific set of terminology, that helps us all stay on the same general page, as far as understanding what is being spoken about.

Patterns means one thing. Cores means another. As does Riser, Cope, and Drag.

If we all start talking about casting, it's a 'Good Thing" to al understand the terminology being used!

Plugs 'Composites', are different things than casting Patterns!