• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Speed handle on the cheap

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Not even inexpensive, just really cheap. I've been looking (not hard) for a speed handle since I got the mill and haven't found one. The other day I was in PA and they had 3/4 inch tire irons for a couple of bucks each, the light bulb came on and I bought three of them.
P1010627.JPG
To get a deep socket I cut off two of the socket ends, face them and chamfer one end of each and welded them together making a deep socket. I had to file the inside of the socket a bit where I blew thru a bit when welding to get a smooth fit.
P1010628.JPG

I cut the handles off leaving about ten inches before the bend and about two inches after the bend. Made a quick wooden jig and welded the short legs to the socket.
P1010629.JPG
A little cleanup and a coat of paint and viola, speed handle ala cheap.
P1010633.JPG
The legs main be a bit long but they'll be easy to shorten if needed.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
You likely know this already but some heavy duty shrink wrap on those handle ends add some functionality and a nice look :)

Great job.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
It was a good way to spend the afternoon.
I have some of that liquid rubber use on the handles, or I might have to build one of those ball making jigs for the lathe.
What do people do without toys,,,,, I mean tools. lol

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
It was a good way to spend the afternoon.
I have some of that liquid rubber use on the handles, or I might have to build one of those ball making jigs for the lathe.
What do people do without toys,,,,, I mean tools. lol
Those are two even better ideas. Good for you.