• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Sowa indexable kit

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
DudlyToolwright on youtube gave a favourable review on the accusize. It is called QTR 22 Accusize Parting Tool Kit Tested I personally prefer the MGMN style.

Brent H

Ultra Member
The parting tools with the small insert (like the Sowa one shown) have not yielded good value for us on the ship. With a wide array of users and talent I have found that this type of tool holder/insert just does not last very long. Soon as an issue develops which stresses the holder, the insert begins to have issues staying solid. I believe I have thrown out more of the insert holders than successful parting has been accomplished. The most reliable has been a simple, shapenable 1/8” wide HSS cutter.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I'm still not sold on the quality of sawa. It is a little cheaper and a little lower quality. I swing back and forth between cheap and expensive brands. Not sure there is a definitive answer to which saves you money

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The issue with Sowa & many like them is they carry many product lines. I don't think any real low level stuff but one tool may be made from Japan or Europe & great quality. The next tool is indistinguishable from an AliExpress. I've bought a bunch of DCMT & CCMT holders off Ali now & I'm reasonably happy for hobby purposes. I first ventured into them specifically to modify into custom tools so spending big bucks didn't make $ sense. They cut & machine like 4140 type material. For sure stronger & straighter material than tuna can junk tools, but I doubt not an Iscar. But if you can buy 5 of them for the same price & don't run them 10 hours a day or for a living..... Sometimes the screws are differnt than a high end model but actually thats a good thing. They are more common (usually always Torx but standard heads) but not crazy unobtanium screws like some Guccibag holders, which I'm sure is a marketing thing.

My (Ali) parting tools are more like this style & so far I have been happy. I've fiddled around with different inserts which is one of the nice things when they are dirt cheap. The non-coated ones cut very well in gummier materials like aluminum, they are different rake geometry. Some like the ones I use for steel have chip breaker geometry which does work & hard to easily replicate in HSS. I can get HSS blade to cut as well with careful grinding & TLC & I still use one more for specific tip shapes, custom grind widths. But for the ease (and I suspect lower net cost) of an offshore toolholder & inserts, its almost a moot point these days IMO. Anything more than say 1.5" diameter I'm already looking at the band saw as a more efficient tool.

Attachments

• SNAG-11-14-2019 0000.jpg
    SNAG-11-14-2019 0000.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 0