Southbend 9C Lathe For Sale

Chip Maker

Super User
I have a Southbend 9C lathe I'd like to sell. I'll post it here to members first before listing it on Kijiji for a higher amount in a week or so. I'd like $650.00 for it. The lathe is complete including the highly sought after and soon to be famous tailstock lol! In good running conditon.
The lathe runs on 110V and is wired for forward and reverse. The bench is not included, but the chip tray is. Also included is the following items:-

3 jaw chuck with inner and outer jaws
4 jaw chuck
3 - face plates
2 - drive dogs
1 - dead center
Extra set of gears
Located near Peterborough Ontario
PM me if interested.

Attachments

• IMG_2359.JPG
    IMG_2359.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2360.JPG
    IMG_2360.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2361.JPG
    IMG_2361.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 41

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Its only a 9c nowhere near as valuable as a 9A.

Yes, but in todays market $650 is very little $$$. I mean busy bee mini mill with taxes is almost 1600 in AB.

Similar lathe here in AB at the start of this year, model 9C sold for $1100 on this very group -

It was missing dog driver & no 4 jaw - so one can say roughly $150.

Granted neither lathe was inspected by me & I assume similar condition.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Johnwa & @Tom Kitta

You guys just need to get over it. All of us out East (especially me being from Sask) are jealous of you guys for a hundred other reasons.

HST, rust, beef, quarters and sections compared to acres, hunting & fishing, and the list goes on and on. Ya, the machinery "usually" costs a little less here. But I'd trade that for your other benefits in a heart beat. If my wife would agree to leave our kids and grandkids behind, the moving van would be packed already.

Chip Maker

Super User
Yes, but in todays market $650 is very little $$$. I mean busy bee mini mill with taxes is almost 1600 in AB.

Similar lathe here in AB at the start of this year, model 9C sold for $1100 on this very group -

It was missing dog driver & no 4 jaw - so one can say roughly $150.

Granted neither lathe was inspected by me & I assume similar condition.
The lathe is in really good condition. The only reason I'm selling it is I don't need two. I stumbled across a deal on another lathe that I posted about a while back titled barn finds. I am just happy to break even on the Southbend and see it go to a good home here to someone just starting out. I'd prefer it not go to a flipper and as I said in my ad here I will place it on Kijiji in a week or so for a higher price if it doesn't sell here.

darrin1200

Darrin
I will check with my brother in law. Would this be good for a complete newbie, that just wants to do small parts, including some basic threading?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Would this be good for a complete newbie, that just wants to do small parts, including some basic threading

It's perfect for that.

Would this be a good size for doing some small gunsmithing work? I am pretty my BIL will be doing stuff like that.

It all depends on exactly what kind of gunsmithing work.

It's a great lathe and a very fair price. If it turns out that your BIL needs more, he can always sell it for more than he paid for it and trade up.

I say go for it!

darrin1200

Darrin
It's perfect for that.

It all depends on exactly what kind of gunsmithing work.

It's a great lathe and a very fair price. If it turns out that your BIL needs more, he can always sell it for more than he paid for it and trade up.

I say go for it!
Thanks. That’s what I thought. He won’t be doing any barrel work. My like rings, washers and stuff.
I just sent a msg to Chipmaker trying to find out model number to get the size specs. I didn’t know there were different models of this model LOL

darrin1200

Darrin
After talking to my Brother-in-law, and figuring out exactly what he’s looking for, this is not the lathe for him.
Looks like we are going to keep looking for something in smaller length. Say about 7x16-18”.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
After talking to my Brother-in-law, and figuring out exactly what he’s looking for, this is not the lathe for him.
Looks like we are going to keep looking for something in smaller length. Say about 18-20”.

Have you ever considered that maybe your BIL doesn't really want a lathe? Maybe he just doesn't know how to tell you to go fly a kite...... Either that, or his sister just wants him to keep you busy.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
@Johnwa & @Tom Kitta

You guys just need to get over it. All of us out East (especially me being from Sask) are jealous of you guys for a hundred other reasons.

HST, rust, beef, quarters and sections compared to acres, hunting & fishing, and the list goes on and on. Ya, the machinery "usually" costs a little less here. But I'd trade that for your other benefits in a heart beat. If my wife would agree to leave our kids and grandkids behind, the moving van would be packed already.

Don't forget mountains! And just sooo many national parks of highest quality! Banff is the most popular park in all of North America!

darrin1200

Darrin
Have you ever considered that maybe your BIL doesn't really want a lathe? Maybe he just doesn't know how to tell you to go fly a kite...... Either that, or his sister just wants him to keep you busy.
It was more my misunderstanding of what he wants. He just wants something small. Just to have on hand to make a pin or a washer type idea. More of a like to have tool on hand.
Something like the Grizzly 8x16 or the LMS 7x16. While I think it’s a little to small, the little Craftex 7x12 might do, at the right price.
Rare to find that size used, but we’ll keep our eyes peeled.

Sorry to hold up the line on this one. But at least now I know what we’re looking for.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
A member is contemplating driving to Calgary to pickup a car. If he does go and this did not sell yet I pay full asking price and move it to Calgary. We see whatever it works out.

Quinn

@Johnwa & @Tom Kitta

Don’t think the grass is any greener here.

You’re HST is gone, but met with high cost of living in some aspects.

Your beef…. Well maybe. But it’s all available in stores.

Hunting? Unless you know people, many requests are met with hard no’s, no responses from lease owners, and public land blocked by lease holders or wealthy. “Stuart’s of the land, but allowing access to guides and friends only”. Anywhere accessible, be wearing orange and maybe a protective vest. Extremely high pressure in these areas.

Mountains? Join the line up or keep on driving west. I don’t bother with Alberta mountains but do find myself driving 3-7 hours every second weekend.

Im considering another relocate. Further west if their economies somehow cover their cost of living. Money is out there. Not sure how they make it?