• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

South Bend Lathe

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My friend Bert had decided to sell his smaller lathe, It is a ready-to-go lathe that has been perfectly maintained. I comes with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, steady rest, centers for the tailstock, branded Armstrong tool holders and more. He's asking $1700. It is a SB 9A.

He can be reached at 403-281-5542

Attachments

• 1sm.jpg
    1sm.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 2sm.jpg
    2sm.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 3sm.jpg
    3sm.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 4sm.jpg
    4sm.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 84

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Anyone want to comment on the price? It has been perfectly maintained and has low hours, in the low 1000s. As far as I know, the taper attachment isn't very common.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I think the price is good. I think the economy though is terrible right now. Nobody is buying anything. I can’t seem to sell my motorcycle, a friend can’t sell her house, the homes for sale on my block we’re up for 6 months and they’ve pulled them off the market.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I think the price is good. I think the economy though is terrible right now. Nobody is buying anything. I can’t seem to sell my motorcycle, a friend can’t sell her house, the homes for sale on my block we’re up for 6 months and they’ve pulled them off the market.

House next to my parents place sold within a week. When I was buying my house last year I got two that sold before they even showed up on public search. Yet, there is a house on the same street that has been out for over 6 months => maybe they simply want too much $$$?

I got two carts out of princess auto today fully loaded and I was not the only one doing so.

As for the lathe I think the price is at the right spot. If its indeed in excellent shape the price is right - lets compare it to new stuff at say Busy Bee in similar range, which would be here: https://www.busybeetools.com/categories/Metalworking/Metal-Lathes/Lathes/

They do have 1 for 2100 that is 10 swing but bed is much, much shorter at just 18", no QCGB, no taper attachment. No extra tooling. Its only advantage is probably higher spindle speed.

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/metal-lathe-600mm-with-stand.html is the lathe I used to have with 1hp motor now upgraded to 1.5hp. BUT its 2x the price for a more modern very light duty lathe.

I would not say the price is low nor its high. Its not a "great deal" to run and buy - its simply "OK". That is given the lathe is in excellent condition.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Not me. I think I would not mind a small lathe, but more modern one, However I probably will just save $ and go for a CNC lathe.

Tom Fitzpatrick

My friend Bert had decided to sell his smaller lathe, It is a ready-to-go lathe that has been perfectly maintained. I comes with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, steady rest, centers for the tailstock, branded Armstrong tool holders and more. He's asking $1700. It is a SB 9A.

He can be reached at 403-281-5542
Is this still for sale?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
As I said in Post #6 the later is sold. This one was way better than any chinese $3000 lathe I've seen. Came with QCGB and metric change gears.

Someone, referred to from this site came came paid his asking, but no one will own up to it. Very curious.