• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

South Bend in Edmonton

Brent H

Ultra Member
Wow- has the taper attachment and steady and a new QCTP .....not too shabby! There is a 11" metric Standard Modern here in Ontario for the same price.....oh to have more space and time...

ScottyM

@Brent H - Looks like a great machine in the pictures, nothing seems beat up just dirty. Of course may be a different story in person but first impressions tell me that thing has mostly just collected dust.

Haha more time and space needed indeed. here I am wishing I had the selection of Ontario, looking into shipping a mill and surface grinder this way at the moment... grass is always greener right?

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
@ScottyM hahaha - indeed, there are lots of nice things for sale all over the place. Hopefully you have a nice mill/grinder selected. Always nice to see things in person. That South bend looks like someone spent some time getting a hobby together and left a pretty nice amount of stuff with it.

Here is the same type Listed here in the O: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/sudbury/excellent-shape-south-bend-lathe/1471788660

Here is a nice looking Harrison: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/cambridge/metal-lathe/1481643733?undefined They have a strange speed selector but the motor runs constant when stopped and you engage the clutch and off you go......

So many lathes and so little time........

ScottyM

@Brent H - Nice? Hopefully... Cheap? Definitely! Always hope to get lucky with a good machine but also not afraid of a project if the price is right. I wish I could go check them in person.

I've seen both those in my searches. Really like the old Harrison's but the fresh spray jobs where you can still see the paint on the floor scare me. My friends and I joke about that being the 5 gallon/Ritchie brothers rebuild!

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
i agree; yes, nice paint is beautiful and some people do a really good job in all aspects of a project, not just on the surface.

i don’t mind the “beauty marks”, it gives a machine a certain character. And better still, if there are very few of them, and the machine is old, then it shows that the previous owner(s) have taken good care of it.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
As usual ON is much cheaper then AB.

If that Harrison works well under power its a great deal. The problem is that it has to be a machine shop with that 600v and paint looks too perfect on pictures.

Brent H

Ultra Member
There is always shipping Tom! ....Have to find a way to move the nice deals to Alberta - I have 4 brothers out there .....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah its 13" probably actually closer to 14" by 7x12 = 84 so its 14 x 84 long bed lathe - the bed length probably includes head stock so actual work piece is far less but still a LOT. It looks to be WWII vintage. https://www.southbendlathe.com/products/catalog-numbers/explanation 8 means its a tool-room lathe model 113 and D = 7 foot bed. Parts support is still available. https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/model-8113b-lathe-201779/

So the actual center distance is 28 + 24 inches = 52 inches. Plenty of space.

Price is very heavy on condition - this thing is not new but either just pre WWII or just past WWII.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’ve had a Harrison like that with a hydraulic tracer on its a nice machine to work with.
I might even still have the manual.