• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sourcing Small Bearings

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
A small bearing on my steady rest decided to self-destruct today.

BEARINGS.JPG

Little Machine Shop description is as follows

Bearing for ball bearing steady rest and follower rest.

Size is 3/16" (ID) x 1/2" (OD) x 5/32" (width).

ID: 4.762 mm = 0.1875 in (3/16)

OD: 12.7 mm = 0.5 in (1/2)

Width: 3.967 mm = 0.1562 in (5/32)

Any idea where to source something like this in Calgary?

Thanks

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Princess but the smallest they have is 25mm and they’re metric. Casterland might have some. Transmission supply store?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Looks like router bit bearings run 3/16 X 1/2 X 6/32. Should be close enough and are available anywhere that sells router stuff.

Now to figure out why it failed like it did. This steady rest has always been a little troublesome. You can snug the alignment fingers up finger tight but when you attempt to lock them down with the through bolts the fingers seem to cant and lock up way tighter than was intended.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hobby store on 32nd would be PM Hobby. They probably have bearings in little baggies with exotic labels but 99% chance associated with RC cars/heli's/planes so highly likely metric because that's where all that stuff comes from these days and are probably $$. On short notice you are better off at a bearing store & probably not that horribly priced.. You can get lucky on ebay but factor shipping time. Ali has lots but probably mostly metric & slow boat shipping.

I find it helpful to enter the dimensions into an online tool & get the bearing code. Then sometimes you get more hits by entering the code
https://www.vxb.com/

For example this is R3ZZ. This isnt your bearing because its 0.196" & you are after 0.156" but just illustrating.
https://www.vxb.com/R3ZZ-Shielded-3-16-x1-2-x-0-196-inch-Miniature-p/r3zz-1.htm

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That Bearings Canada is a good resource. I completely forgot I bookmarked it some time ago. Basically same offerings as the other bearing supply places in States without the border & customs stuff.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Motion Canada, 4155-75 ave SE is pretty good. They used to be BC bearings.
I’ve found that unless they’re an oddball size, small bearings don’t cost very much so it’s not worth spending much time finding the cheapest source.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ends up the bearing I needed was the same size as that used on router bits. I sourced 5 for $8 at BB.

Ya, I know BB is to be avoided but they just happen to be less than 5 minutes from my back door. I'm doomed.