• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Sourcing Metal Stock

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Have a request from our son for some brass tubing you know the kind brass bed ends and lamps are made off.

Specifics: looking for two 4 inch pieces thin or heavy walled with an inside diameter of 1/2" - .500" to 9/16" -.5625" without a seam inside the tube.

Anyone have anything like that laying about they would be willing to part with???

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
So I assume no one has anything like this kicking about. Gee I really hate to drill out 5'/8" brass stock.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Good to see you out and about.
Just checked the "stash" and all my stuff is solid. Would probably cost more to ship from here than just buying what you need.
Out of curiosity what OD is required?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hey Craig, back in the day of our grandparent brass bed heads and ends were manufacture from brass tubing, it was highly fashionable to own one. There were a few modern day attempts at brass bed heads, plus designer/ornamental ceiling and table lamps etc. That's what I'm speaking too nothing fancy just pieces.

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Good to see you out and about.
Just checked the "stash" and all my stuff is solid. Would probably cost more to ship from here than just buying what you need.
Out of curiosity what OD is required?

Feels great to be thinking machining again for a family member.

OD isn't an issue it's the inside diameter with brass tubing.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
That's a really interesting statement???? So 6" OD with a 1/2" ID would work?

Lordy, Lordy, whatever are you drinking or smoking! LOL

Really is great to be back as long as my knee put up with it.

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I think you need to explain what it is you're trying to accomplish....

Don't know, didn't ask, understand it's to do with a homemade Christmas gift for 2 of our great-granddaughters. I'm the sourcing guy so please don't shoot the messenger.

Guess I'll find out come Xmas. Ho, ho, ho!!

Last edited:

francist

Super User
I did look through my stock too but what I have is under sized at 0.430” on the inside with half inch on outside diameter. It does have a seam as well, although a very shallow one.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
PM Hobbycraft in Calgary has tubing in that range. The product is supplied by K & S Engineering. Perhaps a hobby store in your area stocks it.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
PM Hobbycraft in Calgary has tubing in that range. The product is supplied by K & S Engineering. Perhaps a hobby store in your area stocks it.

https://www.amazon.ca/PRECISION-METALS-8139-Round-Brass/dp/B00FZS1QUK/ref=sr_1_34?dchild=1&keywords=K+&+S+PRECISION+METALS+brass+tube&qid=1631562633&sr=8-34

The K & S stuff is 1/2" OD with 0.014" wall thickness so 0.472" ID.

But wait.... look at the review on this one K & S Engineering Brass Tube Round 1/2X12 8139 : Amazon.ca: Industrial & Scientific A claim that it's mislabeled and actually 1/2" ID???

But then there is this.... Round Brass Tube 0.014" Wall x 12" Long - 1/2" OD – ksmetals

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Tubes away..... 3 - 4" long 9/16 - 0.014 brass tubes are on their way to you Bill. I'll PM you the tracking number.

Craig