• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Sourcing Metal | General Discussion

I just looked at McMaster-Carr and they have “ultra-straight tight tolerance shafting” that is specd at .0015” straightness per foot.

3ft of 1” will run you $200 US plus shipping and tax.
How are you getting product from McMaster-Carr. When I look it says no shipping to Canuckistan.

Rauce

Ultra Member
Any good sources of scrap in the GTA? West end preferably

Beach road steel sales in Hamilton sells “secondary” material. The same folks run a scrap yard nearby.

I don’t know of any other places like that but they might be out there.

How are you getting product from McMaster-Carr. When I look it says no shipping to Canuckistan.

I’m not sure how the actual policy is worded but my understanding is that they will sell to Canada but only to businesses. I’ve always just had things shipped to my work.

Beach road steel sales in Hamilton sells “secondary” material. The same folks run a scrap yard nearby.

I don’t know of any other places like that but they might be out there.

I’m not sure how the actual policy is worded but my understanding is that they will sell to Canada but only to businesses. I’ve always just had things shipped to my work.
Sound like I need to find a business. Infodungeon.com likely won't do it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sound like I need to find a business. Infodungeon.com likely won't do it.

They don't seem to be really fussy about it. They accepted both my farm and my consulting businesses. Although I have an HST number, they never asked for it.

Most provinces in Canada allow you to start a business pretty easily. Just start an unregistered business called Fontaine Machining and use that to register for an account there.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
刚刚以 0.5 美元/磅的价格购买了另一个托盘新水滴。这个重量刚刚超过 450 磅,还有 3-4' 的东西的完美组合,应该可以帮助我完成接下来的几个项目。

[附件=完整]35245[/附件]

是时候进行切割和焊接了。

Just bought another pallet of new drops for $0.5/lb. just over 450lbs on this one, and a nice mix of stuff 3-4' that should get me through the next couple projects.

View attachment 35245

Time to get cutting and welding.
This is a very cheap price, and I think it is the same price in China, about 0.8-1 USD /kg, if you are relative to your income, this is a very, very cheap price, I am glad that you can find such cheap materials

Tom O

Ultra Member
Back in Victoria buddy and I bought an engine for his 65 Buick Skylark from a junker and shocked the hell out of him when we picked it up and put it in the trunk. We didn’t even tell him that it was aluminum.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
So field trip to JoeMac today. Left with this and super impressed with his 3D printing abilities. Now in addition to the flex filament he's also doing carbon fibre. I'm still having trouble getting my prints in the new SOVOL to stick to the build plate. He's churning out all sorts of stuff on the same printer.
Says a lot about my abilities.... :mad: CastingMetalScrap.jpg

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
All that's left is two cylinder heads, front oil cover and oil pan and the block c/w pistons. The rest became either sawdust or pieces that will fit into the #6 crucible.

Attachments

• Sawdust.jpg
    Sawdust.jpg
    674 KB · Views: 13
  • CastingMetalScrap-1.jpg
    CastingMetalScrap-1.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 14

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Of course all I have in the sockets drawer is an E16 torx socket so a set via amazon will be here on Friday. Then I can pull the crank which uses two either E18 or E20 per side. The conn rods are E16. Breaking that V6 into castable bits is going to be interesting. A large sledge hammer has been suggested.