• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CA-AB Source for Lead Free Pewter Ingots and cheap hotplate

Alberta
Type
Metal

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Hello! I want to make a custom head-badge for my bicycle, and I am planning on going with molten pewter in a high-temp silicone mould. Does anyone know of somewhere I can get lead-free pewter? Preferably in Calgary? I'd prefer to use something that has a known chemical composition then going to value village and attempting to melt down old dishware lol. The silicon mold I'm looking at has a max temp of 560F/294C.

Additionally, I don't need very much, if someone has some in Calgary they could spare, I'd be happy to buy a bit for a case of beer or some cash.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
IIRC ..... Pewter = Tin ..... I've bought pure Tin Ingots from Western Metals in Calgary. That was about 10 years ago, 1 lb. ingots were ~ $25 each.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Value Village hints. US mandated lead-free pewter in 1960, UK in 1974, EU in 1994. Any pieces with hallmarks typically have date stamps. Also, leaded pewter is quite dark, often with a bluish tint.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Alright, I got a quote back from sculpture supply, about $70 shipped. That's a bit higher than I was hoping to spend, so I think I'll peruse my local value village tonight LOL.

Unrelated, anyone in calgary that have a 550F capable hotplate I could borrow for beer or cash? LOL

eotrfish

Super User
Have you considered casting the head badge from Cerrobend? It melts in boiling water so you can easily recast if it doesn't turn out to your liking the first time around.

I have some offcuts (offmelts?) that you're welcome to.

PM if you're interested.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Alright, I got a quote back from sculpture supply, about $70 shipped. That's a bit higher than I was hoping to spend, so I think I'll peruse my local value village tonight LOL.

Unrelated, anyone in calgary that have a 550F capable hotplate I could borrow for beer or cash? LOL
I melt pewter on a $5 hot plate, also from the V V Boutique