• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CA-ON Source for cast iron in Ontario

Ontario
Type
Metal

Eyecon

Hi,
Does anyone know where I could get small quantities of Durabar or similar grey cast iron in Ontario? I found the distributor of Durabar in Ontario but their catalogue lists lots of a few hundred pounds of material so I didn’t even bother calling them.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Hi,
Does anyone know where I could get small quantities of Durabar or similar grey cast iron in Ontario? I found the distributor of Durabar in Ontario but their catalogue lists lots of a few hundred pounds of material so I didn’t even bother calling them.
I am guessing you're referring to Terra Nova.

I cannot remember where I got my last couple of pieces of continuously cast ductile bar, but I think it was Mr Metal. Somewhere in the west end at any rate.

Rauce

Ultra Member
I’m told Terra Nova charges a premium for anything less than a full length of material. Last time I was thinking about a project that needed some durabar I contacted them and never got an answer.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Terra Nova is geared more to industry but they will fill small orders. Just have a seat nearby lol. Mr Metal was started by friend of mine, we were all briefly involved in an internet metals fling in 2000 along with Bill Mair (founder of metal supermarket, another great guy, maybe not around anymore...he was old then). Anyway, Dan is great guy and their prices are in my experience are consistently less than Metal supermarkets.

Mr. Metal or Metal supermarkets, end of the day, buy it from Terra Nova, TN might not goose them as much, but then there is another layer of margin.
Its frustrating because in the States the stuff's a commodity and sells like hot rolled does, cheap and cheerful. For a small quantity, mail order from the US might even be cheaper. None of the service centres here seem stock it so they're ordering from TN piece by piece.

I would get an email address for sales at TN. Send in an RFQ, make it from say "Eyecon Machining" and see what the price is. Appreciate how a business like that works, you lose money on small orders so they avoid Harry Handiman inquiries. Under a few thousand, not worth estimating. They will do small orders for shop because shops also do lots of orders, some big etc. Don't advertise you're Harry. Or Hairy in Susquatch's case.

I've been in the place and would say most of what they sell is cut to length. In fact they have massive bloody saws as for a lot of what they sell, particularly large sections (like 18" x 24" or bigger, massive blocks of CI) they saw off the outer 1-1.5" as when it cooled it can develop cracks. A heck of lot sawing going on in that place.

because pics make it more interesting.....here's one of those sawed off sides of a slab. I saw off slices for gibs from it but its crap shoot whether you can get a piece with a crack or not. A big chuck of the slice just fell off.....but I had enough material still to make a new tapered gib as part of reconditioning my DSG

DSC_8464-large.JPG

DSC_8482-large.JPG

DSC_8518-large.JPG

Last edited:

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You know, McMaster-Carr, has everything you need, delivery within a couple days. Yes, they require you have a business, so go register a business, sole proprietorship permit is $120.00, or there abouts, isn't that worth it? And they have everything under the sun!

Rauce

Ultra Member
I guess that’s the way to do it if you’re retired. I used to always just order from McMaster and have it shipped to my work. It’s more the address they care about, my McMaster account is under my name and I pay with my own CC.

These days I have a friend that orders at least once a week for his business and he lets me add stuff when I need to and I pay him back. Saves on shipping that way.

Eyecon

You know, McMaster-Carr, has everything you need, delivery within a couple days. Yes, they require you have a business, so go register a business, sole proprietorship permit is $120.00, or there abouts, isn't that worth it? And they have everything under the sun!
I do have a registered business but as @Rauce said, I was under the impression that outside the US, they validate if the address is a commercial one. I really wish I can order from MC because they have a lot more than stock metals.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I do have a registered business but as @Rauce said, I was under the impression that outside the US, they validate if the address is a commercial one. I really wish I can order from MC because they have a lot more than stock metals.

How can they do that? In this day and age of work from home, backyard mechanics, farms, and garage shops, I'd think trying to validate a commercial address would be a total waste of time.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Encore in Calgary has no minimum, but will add a significant charge to the metal order if it is under 250$. I was asking about some 1x4x36"off-cuts as part of a big order. They were out of stock of a 2" centreless ground 4140 20 foot bar, the price went from 35$ per piece to 175$ for 2. sigh. I keep getting the same aggressive sales person, and there's no arguing with them.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Eyecon

Getting a commercial address is as easy as adding something like
Limited or Inc or Machining or Enterprises or Consulting or or or or right after your name.

If they were dead serious, they would want your business or HST number. Not a commercial address. They have my business number in my account there.

Last edited:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Here are a couple more foundries that you can try, but, the orders need to be large enough for foundries to bother with.
You never know who might be working on a similar batch job !!

Alloy Casting Industries Limited​

Address: 374 Hamilton Rd.
New Hamburg, ON N3A 2K2
Phone: (519) 662-3111
Fax: (519) 662-3481
Email: Click Here
Telephone: (519) 662-3111
Fax: (519) 662-3481
Steel Castings, Carbon Steel, Nes, Rgh, Unfin
Castings, Nickel Alloy, Unfinished
Cobalt Alloys Primary Forms & Fab'd Mat
Grey Iron Alloy Castings, Rough, Nes

GAMMA Foundry - Richmond Hill
Darren Smith: 437 995 9887
dsmith@gammafoundries.com
Antonio Quiroga
Key Accounts Foundry Sales
Phone: (905) 884–9091 Ext 237
Cell: 416-791-1250
Fax: (905) 780-9572

A. G. Anderson Foundry
3040 Osler St.
London, ON N5V 1V3
Phone: (519) 455-5420
Fax: (519) 455-0621
Email: Click Here

Eyecon

Quick update: I finally called Mr. Steel and they said they never stocked cast iron, it’s just listed on their website. Instead they recommended McMaster. I ended up calling terranova and they said they can do small orders but I need to give them the exact finished dimensions