• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Son of a biscuit eater it's cold.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Damn it's a cool breeze out in the open today, -47 or so wind chill. The girls didn't really want to leave their bedding area to eat. Didn't even try the tractor that is plugged in and in an open shed, just fired up the smaller chore tractor that is in a heated shop. Think i will just stay indoors the rest of the day and spend time in the reloading room.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Not that I want to restart the electric car discussion yet again, but just I wonder how well those Teslas are recharging outside in this weather with just their inverters and no fast charge stations? Does anyone here have one outside in Calgary or Edmonton?

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Don't think EV's will do well in these temps the prairies are experiencing. They are talking about installing a kick start lever on my butt to get me moving in the morning.:oops:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sustained minus 40 is our house pain threshold. Having some freezing off issues on some water pipes in our crawl space area as we speak. Thought we had the issue licked with a furnace duct entering the space a few years back but apparently not. Anyone have any pro/con experience with retrofitted heat trace lines like this?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Don't think EV's will do well in these temps the prairies are experiencing. They are talking about installing a kick start lever on my butt to get me moving in the morning.:oops:

Never been kicked by a frozen Mukluk before, how are the ladies fairing extra rations one would hope?

We've had to rescue our small pooch a couple of times now would hate to see her injure her wee pads even though she wears a warm coat.

So we go out with her and gather her up quickly then dash for the warmth of the house dragging my trusty cane.

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
But it's a damp cold here on the Island!

Remember a few times growing up in Stoney Creek, (Hamilton area) when temperatures dipped well below zero plus a strong wind off of Lake Ontario. Cut right through you. Long john's hung on the clothes line frozen stiff, we kids laughed. Thank goodness for grandma's hand knit took, scarves, mittens and heavy wool socks.

Last edited:

Perry

Ultra Member
This cold has me wondering. The garage has no insulation yet. Still working on the wiring in the small fleeting moments that I get. With the furnace on things start to warm up and a bit of moisture is picked up in the air. This moisture instantly freezes on the walls.

I'm thinking this might not be a good thing. Once the wiring is finished and signed off, the plan was to move to the insulating and vapor barrier. Before I do this one would think it would be ideal to have those walls dry.

Thoughts?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
When I worked on the Arctic drilling rigs, on one flight north (on an Electra no less) they had removed some of the interior trim and insulation. I swear that plane had a inch of ice on the interior of it's skin. I've always wondered how they came up with a weight and balance to accommodate that phenomenon:p

Perry

Ultra Member
That is a big problem. I hope this doesn't affect the weight and balance of my garage. :)

Another one that most people do not take into account is that an aircraft can be in a totally different environment hours later where the ice will melt and get into all the little crevices. A few hours later it's back to the cold temperature where it freezes again. Slowly pushing the skin right off the stringers.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Take a close look at post#13 and you'll see where I reside. When your my age minus 40 degrees Celsius is cold.
Moose Jaw - ah, those southern climes! Don't worry, I feel your pain. Grew up in Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and a wee bit in Regina. Been to Moose Jaw - but in the summer.