• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Machine Something good to say about Busy Bee Tools

Machine

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have never had much opportunity to say much good about Busy Bee Tools and/or their parts "department", however I just ran across my 2nd positive experience with them.

When my little cx700 lathe was new I crashed it doing something or another and ever since then when the carriage was moving under power I could tell something wasn't quite right. As the carriage got closer to the headstock I could tell there was some binding going on and it did not turn quite as freely. This only occurred when the carriage was under power.

I've managed (ignored) the issue for years until today when I finally got the gumption to disable the appropriate and remove the lead screw.

I thought maybe I had bent the lead screw but once out, I determined that it was straight. That left apron components as suspect. Sure enough, one of the gears on a shaft had a very slight wobble. In the picture you might be able to see the key way on the very end has been splayed out and this causes the gear to sit on it slightly crooked. The other picture shows the gear that is on the end of the shaft and how it engages with the worm gear on the key lead screw. 20221122_123014.jpg

Identified the part and phoned Busy Bee parts. They actually have one in stock and it is $40!!! My model of lathe has been discounted for a while now and replaced by another model with a different apron and leadscrew.

The shaft would be a fun challenge for me to make as it has a couple different diameters, hollowed out and drilled for oil passages, has two different key ways and a small internal thread in it. But for $40 plus shipping I decided to order it. 20221122_122720.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
well that was pretty good eh!
Yes and about a year ago I phoned them to see if half nuts were available for my lathe and again they had them in stock!!!! (They initially only sent me one but we eventually got it sorted out).
Last two dealings I was pleasantly surprised, but everything before that it has been a huge disappointment.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
BusyBee guys can be helpful if you are very clear about what you need.
I find the guys in Mississauga to be experienced at machining and forming.

Sometimes you just have to ask the right questions.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
BusyBee guys can be helpful if you are very clear about what you need.
I find the guys in Mississauga to be experienced at machining and forming.

Sometimes you just have to ask the right questions.
and sometimes they are just terrible...

like when the guy they had deliver my lathe came unprepared to unload the lathe and screamed obscenities at us... not so much as an apology for the driver's behaviour and damaging our lathe.

LenVW

Premium Member
The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Try these . . .

CUSTOMER SERVICE​

Busy Bee Tools has served the Canadian Woodworking & Metalworking Industry since 1976 and throughout the years, reputable and reliable customer service has been an integral part of our business. If you have a question, suggestion and need technical advice on one of our products, we would be happy to hear from you.

Call Us
To place an order and have it shipped – Toll Free 1-800-461-BUSY (2879)
To speak with a customer service rep for technical questions or parts – 905-738-5115 x 6506
To fax an order – 905-738-9143
Call your local store – Click here

Email Us
General Inquiries & internet order info – busybee@busybeetools.com
Technical Help – Click here for technical help
Parts Request - Click here to parts requests
Human Resources – hr@busybeetools.com

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Try these . . .

CUSTOMER SERVICE​

Busy Bee Tools has served the Canadian Woodworking & Metalworking Industry since 1976 and throughout the years, reputable and reliable customer service has been an integral part of our business. If you have a question, suggestion and need technical advice on one of our products, we would be happy to hear from you.

Call Us
To place an order and have it shipped – Toll Free 1-800-461-BUSY (2879)
To speak with a customer service rep for technical questions or parts – 905-738-5115 x 6506
To fax an order – 905-738-9143
Call your local store – Click here

Email Us
General Inquiries & internet order info – busybee@busybeetools.com
Technical Help – Click here for technical help
Parts Request - Click here to parts requests
Human Resources – hr@busybeetools.com
It was years ago, and I contacted their head office to no avail...

So I posted partial video of their driver on youtbe

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I miss visiting them when I do a trip to the mainland. Haven't bought that much over the years but a lot of my stuff in the early years came from there.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Been buying from BB for 40 years, but they’ve closed the BC shop and no info on when or where it will re-open. So Grizzly Industrial in Washington State is now my first choice.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Been buying from BB for 40 years, but they’ve closed the BC shop and no info on when or where it will re-open. So Grizzly Industrial in Washington State is now my first choice.
40 years eh, wow! That got me thinking... while you've still got me beat, my very first machine I bought from Busy Bee was 35 years ago. Time flies in this hobby.
It was a 1x42 belt sander and I still have it and like it. I replaced bearings on it for the first time about a year or so ago. It was also my first tool of any sort I purchased myself. I was using my father's farm shop but he didn't have a belt sander.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I was seriously considering a wood lathe from Grizzly this Fall. Exchange rate put the kibosh on that though.

LenVW

Premium Member
40 years eh, wow! That got me thinking... while you've still got me beat, my very first machine I bought from Busy Bee was 35 years ago. Time flies in this hobby.
It was a 1x42 belt sander and I still have it and like it. I replaced bearings on it for the first time about a year or so ago. It was also my first tool of any sort I purchased myself. I was using my father's farm shop but he didn't have a belt sander.
Some things last forever, I hope my little belt sander stands up.
I have went thru a couple belts, but I have 20 extras.

Attachments

• 8A966A32-7645-4624-A666-43508AEB4D34.jpeg
    8A966A32-7645-4624-A666-43508AEB4D34.jpeg
    477.4 KB · Views: 5