Someone check my math please.... Arduino Shaper Ram FPM Sensor

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I wanted to find out what FPM my shaper is running at....

So, I setup the shaper for a 6.25" stroke and then counted 52 forward strokes per minute using a stop watch.

From that I derived 54 FPM. That sound right to you? This the slowest the machine will run at.

Craig

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
52 x 6.25 = 325 inches per minute
325/12 = 27.083 feet per minute
Unless my math is wrong is wrong as well

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
52 x 6.25 = 325 inches per minute
325/12 = 27.083 feet per minute
Unless my math is wrong is wrong as well

I came up with that value the first time to, but that sounds way too low to me. My minute includes the return strokes.
I derived the forward strokes by counting the number of times the head bumped my hand over the course of a minute.
Not sure now.... this is why I posed the question...

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think 27 FPM is correct.

You are only cutting on the fwd stroke. So I would only consider the time the tool is engaging the work to determine the FPM of the machine.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The tool is actually traversing 12.5" 52 times in a minute. Arbiter, only 50% of that time it is cutting material. So doesn't that still make it 54 FPM?

Last edited:

Safarir

(Charles)
To get the proper answer, we are missing the ratio of time the shaper is doing forward vs backward stroke. Assuming 50%, the average speed is:

1 minutes x 50% = 0.5minutes

6.25inch = 0.52083333333 feet

0.52083333333 feet x 52 = 27.0833333333 feet

27.08333333 feet / 0.5 minutes = ~54 feet / minutes

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I don't know if it has rapid back stroke or not, no documentation available. But, I'm thinking not....

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
doing the math in. a different sequence. each full stroke takes 1.15 seconds. Each full stroke is 12.5 inches, or 1.04 feet. 1.04 ft at 1.15 seconds = 1.04/1.15 or 0.9 fps. x 60 to fpm = 54 fpm average.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't know if it has rapid back stroke or not, no documentation available. But, I'm thinking not....
It has a “Scotch Yoke“ which is driven by the bull gear. Yes, the reverse stroke is faster than the fwd, power, stroke. You can see it by looking at the geometry.

When I first got the shaper, the motor was not wired correctly, it ran “backwards”. That resulted in the fwd stroke to be fast and the return to be slow - backwards for any shaper. I changed the motor direction to fix that.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@YYCHM I was checking the Vintage Machinery site and it appears that they don't have any information on your shaper. AIUI, your machines was made by The Peerless Machine & Tool Company in Guelph, ON:

Do you have a couple of 'glamour' shots of your shaper that could be contributed to their site? I'm happy to do the upload if you don't have/want an account there.

Craig

Go ahead with the upload if you like.

@francist has one as well.

If there is something specific you need let me know. There is essentially nothing about these machines available online.

Last edited:

trlvn

Ultra Member
@YYCHM I did have a look through that thread. I didn't see any shots of the overall machine after you had reassembled it and put the vise on, etc. Also, is there anything like a tag showing a model number and/or serial number? 2 to 4 pics would be sufficient.

Craig

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I love math, and doing research. If you want to do a f@#$ton (metric f@#$tonne / 1.1), of calculations, here’s the math for another brand of shaper.

He’s getting roughly 2:1 extend/retract ratio at the broadest setting, so you’re probably safe using about 80 fpm as the top cutting speed

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I love math, and doing research. If you want to do a f@#$ton (metric f@#$tonne / 1.1), of calculations, here’s the math for another brand of shaper.

He’s getting roughly 2:1 extend/retract ratio at the broadest setting, so you’re probably safe using about 80 fpm as the top cutting speed

LOL..... I have a paper copy of all the articles http://www.neme-s.org/shapers/shaper_columns.html

Just trying to get a rough feel for what's it's currently doing in order to compare with what my Arduino FPM meter produces when I have all the bits a pieces on hand. I have the sw coded just need the shield and sensor in order to complete that project. I think I will change my code to display forward FPM and reverse FPM just for interests sake now.

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just found this video…

I think I used oversimplified math... I like the 2:1 ratio (2/3 to 1/3) of time it takes for the FWD stroke to REV stroke ratio.

Using this analogy, the cutting speed in your case would be:

for one stroke, you would get 6.25in / 40sec = 0.15625 in/sec
or, for one min (6.25 x 60) / 40 = 9.375 in/min
but the shaper was doing 52 strokes / min, thus (52 x 6.25 x 60) / 40 = 487.5 in/min or 40.625 ft/min

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
LOL..... I have a paper copy of all the articles http://www.neme-s.org/shapers/shaper_columns.html

Just trying to get a rough feel for what's it's currently doing in order to compare with what my Arduino FPM meter produces when I have all the bits a pieces on hand. I have the sw coded just need the shield and sensor in order to complete that project.
I hate to suggest… Two IR sensors, spaced a known distance apart, a piece of reflective tape, a shroud to cover the IR sensors, save clock time at first IR trigger, read clock time at second IR trigger, a bit of math. I have a few spare IR triggers I could send you.

1640546019799.jpeg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I hate to suggest… Two IR sensors, spaced a known distance apart, a piece of reflective tape, a shroud to cover the IR sensors, save clock time at first IR trigger, read clock time at second IR trigger, a bit of math. I have a few spare IR triggers I could send you.

View attachment 19232

The shaper stroke is adjustable from 0 to 8", two fixed points is not a practical approach in this case.

I have an analog IR distance sensor and a sonic distance sensor inbound by snail mail thanks...... Should be here next week with luck. My wire has cleared customs in Calgary so Amazon should deliver that anytime now.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Just found this video…

I think I used oversimplified math... I like the 2:1 ratio (2/3 to 1/3) of time it takes for the FWD stroke to REV stroke ratio.

Using this analogy, the cutting speed in your case would be:

for one stroke, you would get 6.25in / 40sec = 0.15625 in/sec
or, for one min (6.25 x 60) / 40 = 9.375 in/min
but the shaper was doing 52 strokes / min, thus (52 x 6.25 x 60) / 40 = 487.5 in/min or 40.625 ft/min

That sounds better to me thanks!