• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Some tools I made for my 10K Southbend Lathe

Tool
The spindle had a 1 5/8"x 12 internal thread. I made the spider to thread into
end of the spindle.

Wow, a spindle with an internal thread on the back side. Now that's what I call cool! Might like an external thread even better. Mine has neither one.

I might think about adding a collar that has both that uses the existing spider's threaded holes for lock screws.

@terry_g Did you convert a horizontal drive 10K to underdrive?
lathe-jpg.22033

Yes I did. I also took an old electric motor and cut the bearing housings off the end housings
and mounted them back on the motor bracket then made a shaft to replace the armature.
I made a bracket and mounted a new motor on the back of the drive with an extra belt and pulley drive.
That way I could reduce the speed as I had no need of the higher speeds and this way I did not need
to use the back gears as often.

drive.jpg

Yes I did. I also took an old electric motor and cut the bearing housings off the end housings
and mounted them back on the motor bracket then made a shaft to replace the armature.
I made a bracket and mounted a new motor on the back of the drive with an extra belt and pulley drive.
That way I could reduce the speed as I had no need of the higher speeds and this way I did not need
to use the back gears as often.

View attachment 22113
Very creative. How did the flat belt get to the spindle?

That's tiny.... Is that for a 0XA tool post? AXA tool holders are 1" X 1.5" X 3".

I think we are confusing tools with tool holders. Most BXA Tool holders take 5/8 tools. And I think the tools are what @terry_g is talking about.

It gets all confusing when you have tools that hold inserts instead of being a solid piece of tool steel. In both cases I call the 5/8 piece a tool or an insert holder but not a tool holder.

All just my own convention not anything official.

I think we are confusing tools with tool holders. Most BXA Tool holders take 5/8 tools. And I think the tools are what @terry_g is talking about.

It gets all confusing when you have tools that hold inserts instead of being a solid piece of tool steel. In both cases I call the 5/8 piece a tool or an insert holder but not a tool holder.

All just my own convention not anything official.

Bingo.... My mistake LOL.

Back