• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Some pictures of possible interest

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey folks!

We are in Pictou Nova Scotia at the ship yard and thought you might like to see a small lathe:

AA3DBE48-AB84-439B-AD51-6957D7E3C127.jpeg
That little beauty has a 1 meter diameter chuck - I think it will fit in the basement - LOL

And here is a sweet old shaper:

80A2372F-45C3-421C-AFB1-62B9B7CCE924.jpeg
The original owners of the yard up and left all the tools to the new comers - the plasma table is awesome - it will cut up to 4” thick plate. I will grab some other pics if you are interested.

Brent H

Ultra Member
We are in Dry Dock - re-machining the propeller hubs and checking the shafting, bearings etc. Some paint and some fan/heater replacements

I will get some neat pics for you tomorrow Craig!

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great pics. You may have to reinforce the basement stairs a wee bit before shoving that baby in.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
We are in Dry Dock - re-machining the propeller hubs and checking the shafting, bearings etc. Some paint and some fan/heater replacements

I will get some neat pics for you tomorrow Craig!
Brent, I was going to ask you what your opinion is of the drama on the SV Seeker YouTube channel? The DIY boatbuilder is apparently landlocked in a parking lot at the Tulsa Port of Catoosa because he can't get insurance for his boat he's been working on for ten years. Not sure if you followed it at all... Even Lloyds of London turned him down.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Brent, I was going to ask you what your opinion is of the drama on the SV Seeker YouTube channel? The DIY boatbuilder is apparently landlocked in a parking lot at the Tulsa Port of Catoosa because he can't get insurance for his DIY boat he's been working on for ten years. Not sure if you followed it at all... Even Lloyds of London turned him down.

Post a link please....

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
The comment section is pretty interesting, particularly when you realize that his motto was "Safety Third," and he documented his lack of certifications for welding below the waterline, etc. I'm sure the insurance industry watched some of this.

Be nice to get an opinion from Brent as most of the comments coming from others on the channel are from people who have no real knowledge of this stuff.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@CalgaryPT : I think I stopped checking his progress after he tried to blow himself up or something to that effect?

It would not be surprising that any insurance company would shy away - not sure why you would want to build a vessel on YouTube where the world can watch you cut corners, mess things up or worse…. While he was building he required the inspections of a “Class” inspector. Big $$$. Especially for the size of the vessel he built.
For our ship, Lloyds was the class inspection society and all parts, steel, engines, shafting etc etc all the way down to the dresser drawers in my cabin all had to be Lloyd’s approved and drawings stamped accordingly- crazy!

In the past (pre 2000) things were a bit easier or perhaps companies just towed the line??? Typically during a build there would be a whole team of drafts people updating and providing accurate drawings - the inspection society would approve these and stamp as drawings passed regulations.
The guy building his Seeker should have been wiser and, basically, had the ship building inspector visiting regularly. Not a big fan of the “politics” but the rules are out there.

@CalgaryPT : no worries on a thread steal - LOL - I will post some pics tomorrow- we have inspections up the arse. That Seeker guy - idiot - great to build his boat but ya gotta do it right - 10 years flushed …..hahaha

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
@CalgaryPT : I think I stopped checking his progress after he tried to blow himself up or something to that effect?

It would not be surprising that any insurance company would shy away - not sure why you would want to build a vessel on YouTube where the world can watch you cut corners, mess things up or worse…. While he was building he required the inspections of a “Class” inspector. Big $$$. Especially for the size of the vessel he built.
For our ship, Lloyds was the class inspection society and all parts, steel, engines, shafting etc etc all the way down to the dresser drawers in my cabin all had to be Lloyd’s approved and drawings stamped accordingly- crazy!

In the past (pre 2000) things were a bit easier or perhaps companies just towed the line??? Typically during a build there would be a whole team of drafts people updating and providing accurate drawings - the inspection society would approve these and stamp as drawings passed regulations.
The guy building his Seeker should have been wiser and, basically, had the ship building inspector visiting regularly. Not a big fan of the “politics” but the rules are out there.

@CalgaryPT : no worries on a thread steal - LOL - I will post some pics tomorrow- we have inspections up the arse. That Seeker guy - idiot - great to build his boat but ya gotta do it right - 10 years flushed …..hahaha
Knew I was asking the right person. Thanks Brent.

Kind of reminds me of the TV series "COAL" filmed in the Appalachian Mountains. Super interesting, but OSHA Inspectors watched it too and shut them down for numerous violations.

Look forward to more pics :) I love that lathe...I bet @Dabbler could get it into your basement.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
So why does it have to be insured?
If in sinks in port it blocks traffic and shuts down commerce. Just like the Evergreen in the Suez a few months back—millions of dollars of business at stake. That's the issue for now. There will be others if and when it makes it out to sea, not that different from car insurance on the high seas I expect.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHM : there is the $$ from failure for business purposes as @CalgaryPT refers too, but there is also the safety and security issues that are also out there. Theoretically the government of any country can just pay for mistakes - billions come in and, well, a federal vessel sank - ooops...pay out the cash. Well, the inspection agency or "insurance" agency holds the builder and owner accountable for the vessel being constructed and also after construction to maintain the vessel to established standards of safety for the people operating the vessel.

The auto manufacturers build thousands of cars and trucks a day, but before they can, all the plans, build specs, options, components etc have to pass a certain inspection/insurance agency. Stuff like CSA approved, crash test approved etc. With a ship there are hundreds of regulations dictating construction requirements for the vessel type, Certifications levels for the crew, safety equipment required, size of life rafts etc etc . For our ship we have an annual safety inspection, monthly safety equipment inspections and we have annual equipment inspections, 5 year inspections, 10 year inspections as well as we are required to come out of the water 2 x in a 5 year period to have other inspections. We have tank inspections, piping inspections, life boat inspections, all the navigational equipment and it goes on and on - ladder inspections, fall arrest.......all the way down to a bearing in a fan....someone needs to know.

So the insurance is for really "me" to make sure I will be safe - driven crazy nuts with inspections - but safe nuts...hahahahaha

If that dude building the Seeker thing took anyone on his wee crap and it sank...holy moly......free to sue his estate into the next millennium! It would be like you building your own road car and just selling it to people or driving around town - total s!@#$t show.

The environment is now a huge issue as well - build something full of oil and it sinks......OMG

Brent H

Ultra Member
@CalgaryPT : watched the video link you posted: that guy is a ...............................................................................................(.lots of bad foul sailor language) and a complete .................ard! no way would I even touch that scow with someone else's 10 foot pole........seriously want insurance to put an uninspected vessel in the water without stability calculations, no electrical, hydraulics etc etc HAHAHAHAHAHA

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Nope.... I'm not following. What defines a vessel v.s. my power boat that I use by myself for my own purposes (not commercial in any way)? Insurance required? I realize that if I damage someone else's property or person I might be liable for that. There must be a defining line here with respect to requiring insurance on the open seas?

Last edited: