• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Some people just like big expensive rocks

Six O Two

(Marco)
it's one of 3 rocks legally taken from Frank slide, bought at a charity auction years ago, and actually picked out by the owners son, so they wanted it to come to the new building

Pretty interesting history of those rocks with a sombre tone.

"Hey, check it out - I took these rocks from this tragic event where 90 people lost their lives!" People are weird.

But the slide site itself - yeah, definitely worth a visit. I drive through a few times a year, and almost feel like I should be holding my breath while driving through Frank. The size of the debris field boggles the mind.

2000px-FRANK_SLIDE_20130716.jpg

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
"Hey, check it out - I took these rocks from this tragic event where 90 people lost their lives!" People are weird.

well its not as bad as you make it sound, it was a cancer charity auction from what i understand, the rock has an included dedication plaque

Ironman

Ultra Member
Seen it at about 10 BC (Before Children). I am amazed at how heavy those are. I have 3 boulders I want to move and I thought I could use a 2T engine hoist to pick them up off center have it swing in the direction I want. Then move hoist and do it again. Repeat until it's where I want.

Originally most of the boulders were done with this equipment. He had 3 left over that we tucked away for some sort of yard decoration later. Now it's much later and I want to move the 3. And yes, they are about that size.

View attachment 34143
That boulder in front of the skid steer is about 1 ton. Having been an underground miner for 35 years I have learned that 1 ton of average density rock is roughly 30 x 30 x 30 inches.
Now a boulder of galena of that size is a whale more weight.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I guess the story behind the big rock, it's one of 3 rocks legally taken from Frank slide,
Believe me, they aint gonna miss 3 rocks from that slide....i can remember thinking on my first trip through Frank that that roadside sign proclaiming it "illegal to remove rocks" that it is quite possibly the most redundant sign ever produced.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
If they didn't have the sign and make it illegal to take the rocks there wouldn't be much of a slide left, 100 years of people hauling stuff out of there and you would probably find the town

Just like the black sand beaches in Hawaii, they all have signs that state it is illegal to take the sand....thousands of people tanking an ounce at a time..

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Moved a few thousand tons of dirt on my property from the high side to the low side. Lotsa big boulders like this:

20140823_133540.jpg

once it was on level ground it took 2 bobcats to roll it 200' to the edge of the drop off. Figured at least 5 ton.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Lotsa big boulders like this:

The photo makes it look like that little excavator was lifting that rock! Did you do that on purpose?

Nice rock!

I have some real biggies here, but none like that!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
No. That was actually a bit of a safety to keep it from rolling when I went to take the pic and see what it was sitting on. I dug it out till it was sitting on a tiny little point then rolled it down. It went over about 3 times and sunk into the dirt. It stayed there for a few years. My shop is built where it ended up sitting, before we pushed it over the edge. Here it is today
: 20230509_121726.jpg

Last edited:

justin1

Super User
Could just buy some expanding ground and a hammer drill probly cheaper then a 4hr rental if you have a rental company that will do half day rentals near you. Probly make them small enough to roll around if you do some good hole placements.

Or if they got a flat face, post on marketplace see if someone wants free drive way maker lol
Seen it at about 10 BC (Before Children). I am amazed at how heavy those are. I have 3 boulders I want to move and I thought I could use a 2T engine hoist to pick them up off center have it swing in the direction I want. Then move hoist and do it again. Repeat until it's where I want.

Originally most of the boulders were done with this equipment. He had 3 left over that we tucked away for some sort of yard decoration later. Now it's much later and I want to move the 3. And yes, they are about that size.

View attachment 34143