• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Some knives

did a picture show up in my post? I'm used to linking from imgur, and when I'm looking at my post I see a broken link, no picture
 
did a picture show up in my post? I'm used to linking from imgur, and when I'm looking at my post I see a broken link, no picture

I edited your post to show a proper link - not broken. But you still need to click on it to see it. With a few exceptions, our system will not directly link to other content. This is to protect us from malicious intentions and content.

The best way to do this is to upload the desired images directly to your post. Then they will display right on your post without needing to click on a link.

This might seem inconvenient to you, but for us, it is a necessary evil.
 
I edited your post to show a proper link - not broken. But you still need to click on it to see it. With a few exceptions, our system will not directly link to other content. This is to protect us from malicious intentions and content.

The best way to do this is to upload the desired images directly to your post. Then they will display right on your post without needing to click on a link.

This might seem inconvenient to you, but for us, it is a necessary evil.
evil works for me.
just gotta set things up.
 
@Lorien Your brass pins, are they basically rod stock epoxied into the holes & you sand them flush as teh handle is profiled?

View attachment 87613
exactly. I chuck em in the hand drill and run them against a file just enough to bust off the patina and leave concentric grooves all up and down the pin so they're grabby at the epoxy. I cut them with a portaband before sanding them flush because I don't want them to get too hot.
One of those knives has ti pins
 
IMO pins that simply stop the handle material from shifting along the tang by sitting inside the handle do nothing to keep the handle attached to the tang. The epoxy will eventually wear off over time and the handle falls apart. Corby bolts along with epoxy add strong mechanical strength to the assembly of the knife and are worth the price.
On knife making websites they are over priced, but you can get them on Amazon for a very good price.
 
Just finished up with the 2x72 for the time being. Time for a little hand work to tame asymmetry and clean some stuff up.

Don't know if people are interested in knife making, but I have lots of pics of all sorts of projects

Knife making is my main profession. What type of steel are you using for your knives, and do you have a forge or kiln to heat treat them in?
 
Knife making is my main profession. What type of steel are you using for your knives, and do you have a forge or kiln to heat treat them in?
this batch of knives is X65Cr13, one of them is A2. I use all kinds though, mostly high alloy.
I have an Evenheat LB18, and use LN2 for quenching.
A buddy of mine is a bladesmith and I've forged a couple knives/swords with him and we heat treated them in his forge.
 
By any chance have you hardened it like the old Samuri swordsmiths heated to the color of the rising sun then quenched? I have seen documentaries on smelting the metal keeping the fire stoked for I believe 24 hours in a oversized cupola basically and when finished the master smiths get first choice of the metal.
 
these handles are pretty much finished. I'll start working on the sheaths today
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0022.jpeg
    IMG_0022.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
By any chance have you hardened it like the old Samuri swordsmiths heated to the color of the rising sun then quenched? I have seen documentaries on smelting the metal keeping the fire stoked for I believe 24 hours in a oversized cupola basically and when finished the master smiths get first choice of the metal.
that conjures up a much more romantic image than what I do!

The reality of heat treating, the way I do it, is pretty boring for most people. I'm kind of into it- it's all about precision and understanding some of the metallurgical science behind how and why the alloys I use are developed, and following strict guidelines wrt quench rate curves, austenitizing temperatures, tempering temperatures etc.

I know a few guys who've extracted blooms from sand and then forged blades from it. While I respect the tradition and dedication of all that, and enjoy forging myself, there really is no comparison, performance wise, between blades made that way and blades made from many of the alloys available these days.

There is art and science wrapped into knife making, which is why I enjoy it. I think there is room for any and all interpretations of how to go about it, my angle is mostly centered around ergonomic interface, and cutting performance.
 
that conjures up a much more romantic image than what I do!

The reality of heat treating, the way I do it, is pretty boring for most people. I'm kind of into it- it's all about precision and understanding some of the metallurgical science behind how and why the alloys I use are developed, and following strict guidelines wrt quench rate curves, austenitizing temperatures, tempering temperatures etc.

I know a few guys who've extracted blooms from sand and then forged blades from it. While I respect the tradition and dedication of all that, and enjoy forging myself, there really is no comparison, performance wise, between blades made that way and blades made from many of the alloys available these days.

There is art and science wrapped into knife making, which is why I enjoy it. I think there is room for any and all interpretations of how to go about it, my angle is mostly centered around ergonomic interface, and cutting performance.
I forgot to say heated to temp in a darkened room to observe the heat along the full blade while observing its heat color.
 
Back
Top