• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Small Nicholson Files

Perry

Ultra Member
While browsing around the surplus section in Princess Auto I found boxes of small Nicholson files. $14.99 for a dozen. Seems reasonable to me.

They have a few more sizes and styles. (I believe they are all 60 degree triangle style files. ) If you are in the Calgary area and buying, I'd be interested in trading some of these for some of the other sizes/styles.

DSC_4809.JPG DSC_4810.JPG DSC_4811.JPG

trevj

Ultra Member
Good catch!

Where are they made? Looks like old stock, from before they moved production to India and Brazil.

Great files for saw sharpening, among other uses, and hard to beat a buck and a bit each!

Perry

Ultra Member
Sorry, for the slow reply. North store in Calgary is where I found them. I thought there was 6 different styles. According to a friend who was there after me , he said there are only 4 styles.

He also pointed out the 3" files are also marked down another $7.48 making them only $7.51 for a box of 12. Checking my receipt confirms this. ( I really gotta start checking what I'm paying for before swiping.)

What size of Skroo-zon handle would you use for files this small? The conventional wisdom seems to be to judge by the length of the file but that makes little sense to me since the tangs are different sizes for same length depending on whether it's a flat, round or triangular file.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
What size of Skroo-zon handle would you use for files this small? The conventional wisdom seems to be to judge by the length of the file but that makes little sense to me since the tangs are different sizes for same length depending on whether it's a flat, round or triangular file.
The best file handles you can install are old golf balls, just drill a small hole and tap onto the rat tail, will stay on forever.

The best file handles you can install are old golf balls, just drill a small hole and tap onto the rat tail, will stay on forever.
I've heard of this before but really not very fond of it. Just my personal preference. I like to have most of the tang covered by a handle so that the handle stays on, so that I have something to hold on to, with some extra for safety between the end of the tang and my hand . The tang on my smallest 4 inch file is 1.5 inches long. A golf ball is about 1.625 in diameter. Doesn't work for me.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The North stor had stock in all 4 sizes, but the boxes were toast. There is no goo description in the box or on the pricing flag so people had to break into the boxes to see what they were. FYI all triangle files, various widths and lengths.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
In Hamilton ON there were only 2 types, 4 and 5 inch. Not many left and what was there had damaged boxes.

I couldn't find any in the Scarborough store, the computer said the 4 inch only were in stock, but like usual I can never find things like this on the shelves.

all was not lost though, because the 15L x 12W x 6H in. Stackable Totes I like were on sale for 3.99 each. I'm going back with a bigger vehicle.

I also saw this handy item... I wonder if I should buy it to force me to build a shop where it will be useful?

IMG_20230318_162445350.jpg

Last edited: