• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Small mill

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You would be best served by seeing several shops and more machines. Let's see what can be arranged (we are on the cusp of Stampede, and we have a water rationing thing right now). I personally need time to excavate my mess. I know of a range of machines in several shops. I'll ask around.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
My two cents here. I discovered the David Gingery "Build a home shop from scrap" series in the local library. His son Vince also wrote a few on a power hack saw and slip roll which I ordered directly, including the original set, from David.
I built the gas fired foundry using the power hack saw and slip roll and my Sears Drill press for drilling holes in steel.
Next I bought an XY vise and a neighbour drilled a hole through a replacement spindle I'd ordered from Sears. That gave me a draw bar and the ability to use MT3 based tooling.

Long story short I build the Gingery Lathe with full intentions of also doing the shaper and horizontal mill.
But then a South Bend Heavy 10L with taper attachment, 3 and 4 jaw chuck showed up locally and I splurged ($2500 I think). Through the South Bend group I got a dead center for the spindle and a face plate. But it wasn't adequate for everything.

I once again splurged with the idea I'd do my own maintenance on the Jeep Cherokee for a few more years and put what would have been payments for a new vehicle to a House of Tools Mill.

Best investment ever although I now with I'd bought the slightly bigger one. The longer table and horizontal mill feature would well have taken up more space which was at a premium. But still I wish I had the horizontal feature and a few times I've had to move the work or pivot the head to mill the larger castings.

So I'll agree with the previous postings. Buy the biggest you can 'squeeeeeeeze' into the shop.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Dabbler a shop tour (in several parts) sounds like a great idea.
I am retired so for the most part I am available.
Any takers?
Gary
I have a KING Canada KC-15VS that mills steel and aluminum with ease.
Mine is 3/4 hp, 110/1/60 Electrics
I added DRO on the X=9” and Y=4” axis.
Very capable with a 1” Flycutter with TPG222 inserts and 1/2” HSS Endmills.
Brand new from KING it was $1100.

It is a desktop (300 lbs) and not nearly a Knee Mill.

Garyt

Dabbler have you a list of small mill owners in Calgary area?
I think part of my problem is indecision on what size of machine to concentrate on if I could touch a few (2 or 3 ) I could be more prepared.
Gary

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I could be more prepared.

Gary,

Here is a checklist to use when looking at a mill before buying. I originally wrote this for myself when I was shopping for a mill and then updated it as others asked about such a list. It's fairly comprehensive and was aimed at bigger mills cuz that is what I was after. Just ignore what doesn't apply. Hope you find it useful.

Post in thread 'First milling machine' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/first-milling-machine.5441/post-80421

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm talking to some people, about a visit. Multiple perspectives from each owner is the important take-away.

Once I get premissions, I'll get back to you about timing.

I guess after reading all the hints I don't really know what I want. My lathe is a old 9 inch southbend in, I think, pretty good shape. That would be the companion machine.
I started with a mini lathe and the southbend fell into my lap, so I understand the don't go too small but there is still the cost and shop room to consider.
I will continue to watch.
Gary
Hi,

Just added a LittleMachineShop Hi Torque Mini Mill to complement my SB9A. I am working on/towards small live steam and general mischief, so in my opinion the two are a good a pairing, for my personal needs. It is readily moveable by breaking it at the mount to the base (4 bolts). Comes with brushless motor and a slightly larger table than Busy Bee’s offering. Thus far I quite like it. It has the R8 quill, so not directly compatible with the SB9. I have two different sets of collets, for example.

Downside is price. It ended up costing me about $2,400 to get it delivered and that’s just the bare machine.

Garyt

Thanks Dabbler looking forward to see some shops.
Yes Dave I have looked (on line)at the busy bee mini mill, but fear I might out grow it. It started with a mini lathe and find the sb so much better.
Gary

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Hi,

Just added a LittleMachineShop Hi Torque Mini Mill to complement my SB9A. I am working on/towards small live steam and general mischief, so in my opinion the two are a good a pairing, for my personal needs. It is readily moveable by breaking it at the mount to the base (4 bolts). Comes with brushless motor and a slightly larger table than Busy Bee’s offering. Thus far I quite like it. It has the R8 quill, so not directly compatible with the SB9. I have two different sets of collets, for example.

Downside is price. It ended up costing me about $2,400 to get it delivered and that’s just the bare machine.
Question: What is the Motor HP of your High Torque Mini Mill from LMS ?

djberta

Premium Member
Glen a good compromise between size and cost is the round column rf30 clones. The Rf30 s go from 1k to 2k used, depending on add Ons and tooling. It’s always a balance between bed size, hp, cost. If you want more you pay more.

How far can you drive in an evening after work round trip, plus load time? Use that as your search radius. Search daily on FB, kijiji, any other market place. Word of mouth, ask people you know. It’s crazy how many pieces of equipment are sitting and it’s old uncle Bens and they don’t know what to do with it. You would be amazed.

Have an idea of value, how much do you have on hand for cash. Cash talks.

Last Do you have a truck or trailer at hand? If not find a friend or line up one of the rentals. You can rent A half ton.