"small" lathe tooling - any pointers?

gerritv

Gerrit
@Mcgyver, that looks very much like an 011 size. They are officially 32.5mm tip to back and 17.9mm high. I would greatly appreciate either dimensions of the internals, esp. the cam offset. Or I could pick it up from you, do the drawings/CAD and return it.

For those who don't know about Tripan, they have sizes from 011, 11 and 111 (and up.) 011 is great for watchmaker lathes such as Boley and Lorch. Mine when built is for my Sherline, might need a small riser block. The 111 is suitable for 9-10" lathes. Catalog is here: (I am not responsible for damage to your bank account) https://tripan.ch/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/CATALOGUE_TRIPAN_2021_FR.pdf

gerrit

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I've built a miniaturized version to work on 8mm lathes. Was going to do it as an article in the mag (THE mag lol, Home Shop Machinist). imo that addresses a huge problem.... I mean what is there out there in WW QCTP? There is little need for watchmakers I guess, almost all work is done with gravers by hand, but for us machinist types ...... I can barely get near a lathe without a QCTP! bunch of photos here https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/an-adventure-in-lost-resin-casting.9140/#post-134672

There are just two internal parts, the plunger and the eccentric lock. I don't have photos yet but will try and get some together.

I do have one the smallest size Tripans, whatever number that is, I could pull measurements off it if that is what you are after.
I remember that thread. Downsizing those to fit on my Unimat would make life with it much nicer.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I do have one the smallest size Tripans, whatever number that is, I could pull measurements off it if that is what you are after.

I was wrong on this, started checking dimensions. The Tripan I have is an 11 not a 011. Perfect for a Schuablin but too big for WW. I can see how the 011 would be perfect for a watchmakers lathe.

Mine is 5/8 tall, so slightly smaller than a 011 but not by much.

The TP would be 400+ after shipping and tax, and what is worse is the holders - $200 each shipped & taxed. And what is the point of a QCTP without a lot of holders! Too rich for me. (I think Europe would be the place to live, but only if fabulously wealthy lol)

The holders are easy to make if a bit tedious in volume. You do have to be quite careful with the dovetail; in this size the throw of the eccentric is so small you want to start with a close fit of the holder on the body

1713606928147.png

Comparing mine to the 11.

20240420_053850-1300x1300.jpg

gerritv

Gerrit
Awesome to see these together. What is the throw of cam on your 011-like version? The rest kind of falls into place with what we know.

gerrit

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
The Unimat has a 1" high holder that puts the tool bit top surface at about 0.5"
1713639833682.png

The Gingery Lathe has a 1.5" high tool holder that puts the cutting edge at 0.75"
1713639884552.png

I suppose it might be possible to build a Tripan style mount that allows an adjustment range to fit both lathes. That means only one size tool bit holder which would be a lot less work. But maybe best to just make two sizes?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I suppose it might be possible to build a Tripan style mount that allows an adjustment range to fit both lathes. That means only one size tool bit holder which would be a lot less work. But maybe best to just make two sizes?

I've several 8 and 10mm lathes I want to use these on, the plan is to make precision shims for each. Put say a 1/8" dowel pin in collet, fit an adjustable parallel underneath, carefully measure and make a really precise shim ..... then any tool can be dropped into any lathe and will be dead on. Better than multiple QCTP in one sense, you don't need to replicate every tool, one tool set up in a holder can be used on any lathe

Last edited:

trevj

Ultra Member
Make the same size tool post for both, thin off the tool holders, or simply offset the tool slot (the cutting forces are NOT huge!) that will be assigned to live with the lower mounting lathe, so the adjusters will allow you to work on either side of center height.