• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

SM belt changes

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This is the belt configuration on my 10 utilathe, Should the top pulley be switched around? when I try that configuration its too big either way so I believe that I have to switch the pulley and find a little smaller belt in order to have the true speeds shown?
IMG_5625.JPG

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Without knowing anything about your Utilathe, I think one of your pulleys might be reversed. Usually they are stepped in on one end and out on the other. With your configuration there would be very little change from one belt setting to the other.

Also, with your configuration, you might even have to change to a different belt to use the other groove because you might not have the range of adjustment you need.

With a normal set up, one groove gets bigger as the other gets smaller which allows more of a constant belt length and a much bigger change in drive ratio.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Does the belt have a PN on it? I haven't found a manual for the 2000 series so can't say for sure if it's the same belt as my 1120 but the setup looks the same.

My 1120 uses a "Gates 3VX355 Super HC".

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Agree with above advice : one of the pulleys needs to be turned around 180* on its shaft.

Maybe there is enough motor adjustment for the present belt to work once one pulley is turned around? If not, only a shorter belt will work.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I switched the top pulley, and used some power twist v belt that I had to set it up, I can see the difference in the high and low ranges I'll have to get a tach and check the speeds in comparison, but it cut fine the way it was but this should be better for figuring out speeds and feeds. The belt was in there was a 4l330 from goodyear, it was pretty much at max with the previous setup and way to loose with the pulley switched we will never know why it was changed but I am happy I was able to get it back to full condition. Another question I have is can or should you operate the feed fwd/rev lever with the motor running?

IMG_5626.JPG IMG_5632.JPG IMG_5628.JPG IMG_5631.JPG

Cryoine

Last edited:

Chipper5783

I believe Cryoine has it right. Your top pulley was fine (that is what my 11LD looked like when it came to me). With your switch around, you now have the top pulley on backwards. As others have said, one pulley was on backwards, it is the motor pulley that was wrong. Standard Modern uses what looks like an odd set up, but it seems to work very well. They use quite a large section belt (5L or B), it appears to fit the motor pulley, but looks to be too big for the top pulley - it is not, that was their design. You can easily roll the belt from high/low and back, without touching the motor adjustment - the small to large and medium to medium are very close to the same center distance and with the top pulley having a shallower profile it doesn’t need much belt stretch to change speeds. Also it is only a 3/4 hp motor, it doesn’t need much belt tension.

Anyway, that’s how I run mine and it works well. Using a regular B section belt from UFA, once setup, never have to play with the motor.