• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

SM 72T Bull gear

Danzo187

Premium Member
I'm looking for a 72T bull gear for a standard modern 13" 2000 series lathe.... already checked LeBlond ,quoted me $2995.00 ............YIKES! $2995.00

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I'm looking for a 72T bull gear for a standard modern 13" 2000 series lathe.... already checked LeBlond ,quoted me $2995.00 ............YIKES! $2995.00
did you first check with Racer machinery? They may have one at a lower price.

You haven't seen pricey until you look at parts for a variator.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
If no one here can help you might try calling Boston Gear.

Danzo187

Premium Member
How bad is your gear? There's several different methods of repairing gear teeth. Try getting us a picture and perhaps we can help you help yourself out of a spending spree......
Don, thought about brazing ,its just one tooth, only problem is finding someone to do it right out here in logging country in Maine

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Diameter of the bull gear will tell me the pitch. I'm pretty sure the pressure angle is 20 degrees. I wonder if I can scan my gauge and convert to pdf for printing out

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Don, thought about brazing ,its just one tooth, only problem is finding someone to do it right out here in logging country in Maine
One of the most clever ways I've seen broken tooth repaired is by drilling and tapping a row of holes so that a row of small socket head cap screws can be installed.
Then the heads are filed down to the tooth profile. Worked like a charm.

Danzo187

Premium Member
One of the most clever ways I've seen broken tooth repaired is by drilling and tapping a row of holes so that a row of small socket head cap screws can be installed.
Then the heads are filed down to the tooth profile. Worked like a charm.
I did see that on YouTube ,so now there are quite a few options for a lot less $$

Danzo187

Premium Member
Diameter of the bull gear will tell me the pitch. I'm pretty sure the pressure angle is 20 degrees. I wonder if I can scan my gauge and convert to pdf for printing out
I haven't pulled the gear but rough scale the O.D. is about 6" ,would I measure pitch diameter with pins like you would measure threads or is it based off of OD then it would be 72/6=12 not sure how to measure pressure angle
I have a Mitutoyo optical comparator so i can measure where ever you measure to get pressure angle

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I haven't pulled the gear but rough scale the O.D. is about 6" ,would I measure pitch diameter with pins like you would measure threads or is it based off of OD then it would be 72/6=12 not sure how to measure pressure angle
I have a Mitutoyo optical comparator so i can measure where ever you measure to get pressure angle
based on that I'm sure that it is 12DP 20PA gear.

If I recall correctly the bull gear has studs to affix it in position too. If you pulled the gear and looked at it to measure enough points to confirm my suspicions and to create a 3D model in fusion maybe someone would be kind enough to make one for you for far less than leblond quoted.

If I was confident I could make one I'd offer to do it for the cost of the gear material, but I dont think I have the right cutter.

Danzo187

Premium Member
yes it has (2) .250 locating pins ,I would also attempt if I had a horizontal mill and a dividing head,but fear of not getting it perfect and ruining the gear train is scary ,I'll keep searching ,worse comes to worse I get Brazed and I can do the rest on my Bridgeport

Danzo187

Premium Member
based on that I'm sure that it is 12DP 20PA gear.

If I recall correctly the bull gear has studs to affix it in position too. If you pulled the gear and looked at it to measure enough points to confirm my suspicions and to create a 3D model in fusion maybe someone would be kind enough to make one for you for far less than leblond quoted.

If I was confident I could make one I'd offer to do it for the cost of the gear material, but I dont think I have the right cutter.
sorry I put Davids name in there

Danzo187

Premium Member
How bad is your gear? There's several different methods of repairing gear teeth. Try getting us a picture and perhaps we can help you help yourself out of a spending spree......
well finally got off my lazy butt and fixed my 72T bull gear, took spindle out (it takes all of 10 minutes on a SM lathe) removed gear put on my Mitutoyo comparator measured teeth, pressure angle height etc. indicated gear on Bridgeport ran a .250 endmill
.500 deep from bottom of tooth then a .375 dovetail cutter at .500 depth, made a brass tooth and profile to match with a .003 press fit, pressed tooth in to dovetail reassembled and whala! ,all of 3 hours total work so good I even cleaned the paint ,runs so much better with shiny paint ,my cost instead of 3 grand it was about 2 bucks

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
well finally got off my lazy butt and fixed my 72T bull gear, took spindle out (it takes all of 10 minutes on a SM lathe) removed gear put on my Mitutoyo comparator measured teeth, pressure angle height etc. indicated gear on Bridgeport ran a .250 endmill
.500 deep from bottom of tooth then a .375 dovetail cutter at .500 depth, made a brass tooth and profile to match with a .003 press fit, pressed tooth in to dovetail reassembled and whala! ,all of 3 hours total work so good I even cleaned the paint ,runs so much better with shiny paint ,my cost instead of 3 grand it was about 2 bucks
That’s excellent! Did you happen to take some pictures?

I’m pretty sure what your repair will last a long time…

Did you use 0.003 press fit because the material was brass into cast iron? Were you concerned that with that much press fit the CI might crack?

Not questioning your method, just trying to learn from your process…

Danzo187

Premium Member
That’s excellent! Did you happen to take some pictures?

I’m pretty sure what your repair will last a long time…

Did you use 0.003 press fit because the material was brass into cast iron? Were you concerned that with that much press fit the CI might crack?

Not questioning your method, just trying to learn from your process…
yes the .003 press fit was in fear of cracking the cast iron and also thats why i used a dovetail cutter and not a woodruff cutter,to spread the pressure evenly from the press fit

Danzo187

Premium Member
yes the .003 press fit was in fear of cracking the cast iron and also thats why i used a dovetail cutter and not a woodruff cutter,to spread the pressure evenly from the press fit
here a picture of the tooth and also it seems like used equipment is pretty pricy in Canada and the US if you live in a machine desert, I picked up these machines this winter from various areas within a 200 mile radius of me .the standard modern 13X30 with 3 chucks ,taper attachment steady rest QC tooling (complete set) Trav-A-Dial etc. ,paid 1200 for it and they delivered it from 4 hours away. No charge. Harig 612 surface grinder 630 bucks ..mint condition ,Darex E90 end mill grinder with ball end mill attachment and Darex drill grinder both mint 300 for the pair mitatoyo PJ250B comparator,mint 300 bucks,1984 bridgeport with everything you see for 900 bucks,ended up with a whole shop for under 3500

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg