• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Slitting saw recommendations

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm in the market for some slitting saws. 1mm thickness specifically. Need to turn an arbour so I'd like to have the saw first so I can machine to fit.
Any decent ones that won't break the bank?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I ordered some from walmart I haven't received them yet so I can't comment on the quality but they do have a good selection
of sizes.

Machining tools at WALMART?

Isn't that sort of like a mortal sin or at minimum some kind of societal breakdown!

Do they do open heart surgery too?

LMAO!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@David_R8 coincidentally I just ordered these from Ali, so should be in a position to tell you about quality when they arrive pretty soon. All they sell is metric saw widths but I'm OK with that. Actually for my (metric based) radial engine it caused me more grief to figure out new dimensions for IMP saws for cooling fins & such. I opted to try the 75mm OD blades & bought the appropriate arbor.

I've bought a few blades onsey-twosey as I've needed them predominantly from KBC in the past. But I started to get generally frustrated by the N-Am offerings. The blades vary in quality. The Euro ones have been fine but they come in certain dimensions that you need specific arbors. Then the shanks vary so you have to have the right collet or holder to marry to the mill. I've also had some made in India saws that I'm pretty sure were the tops of soup cans. They wobble like crazy even when the arbor is perfect fit. You can find some super duper USA arbors with low runout but they are crazy prices. Maybe used for CNC not sure. I was just preparing myself to make my own arbors because I'm confident I can replicate the accuracy (but not hardened/ground). So that's what got me looking at Ali. Fingers crossed. I have HSS coming but in other suppliers I see carbide for the price of HSS domestically. Your application may vary but I find small diameters might be limited in what they can cut. By the time you factor the appropriate holder, you may not have much actual saw depth. The Ali link offerred a few different flaours once you cross reference the saws, hole ID's, available arbor options etc.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-04-03 5.35.09 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-04-03 5.35.09 PM.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 6
  • SNAG-2022-04-03 5.35.43 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-04-03 5.35.43 PM.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 6

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 coincidentally I just ordered these from Ali, so should be in a position to tell you about quality when they arrive pretty soon. All they sell is metric saw widths but I'm OK with that. Actually for my (metric based) radial engine it caused me more grief to figure out new dimensions for IMP saws for cooling fins & such. I opted to try the 75mm OD blades & bought the appropriate arbor.

I've bought a few blades onsey-twosey as I've needed them predominantly from KBC in the past. But I started to get generally frustrated by the N-Am offerings. The blades vary in quality. The Euro ones have been fine but they come in certain dimensions that you need specific arbors. Then the shanks vary so you have to have the right collet or holder to marry to the mill. I've also had some made in India saws that I'm pretty sure were the tops of soup cans. They wobble like crazy even when the arbor is perfect fit. You can find some super duper USA arbors with low runout but they are crazy prices. Maybe used for CNC not sure. I was just preparing myself to make my own arbors because I'm confident I can replicate the accuracy (but not hardened/ground). So that's what got me looking at Ali. Fingers crossed. I have HSS coming but in other suppliers I see carbide for the price of HSS domestically. Your application may vary but I find small diameters might be limited in what they can cut. By the time you factor the appropriate holder, you may not have much actual saw depth. The Ali link offerred a few different flaours once you cross reference the saws, hole ID's, available arbor options etc.

Thanks Peter, do you have a link to the arbor?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
One thing I seemed to stumble on more often than not with the typical domestic arbors, the vertical distance from the saw to the bottom of spindle barrel is quite short. So many things I held in a vise did not play play well together. What I'm saying is it would be nicer to have an extended shaft ad larger diameter cutter. There are probably practical limitations but I liked the length of the Ali vs what I have. the smaller diameter saws use proportionately smaller arbors & that's fine, likely smaller parts in that case.

Link to homebrew arbor. Note the bigger saws typically require keys

Integrated R8

wallet burners I suspect

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've also had some made in India saws that I'm pretty sure were the tops of soup cans. They wobble like crazy even when the arbor is perfect fit.

I laughed right out loud at this. That's one of the funniest things I've read in ages! Even the cat thinks I've lost my marbles!

Good one Peter!

trlvn

Ultra Member
On Hobby Machinist, I found a document from a US company called Martindale. Pages 13-14 have some good information on selecting a saw blade for various conditions:

HTH

Craig

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks all, I have a saw blade winging its way to me. And some 12L14 that I see if I can whittle into a reasonable facsimile of an arbour.