• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Slice & Dice Knives, (Now operating as The North Boundary Knife Co?), Jasper

Mikie

My complaint was they agreed to fix a knife that was crooked from where the blade went into the handle. They agreed to fix or make me a new one! So I sent it in and then after about 6 months of excuses Slice and Dice quit messaging me and did not give me back a knife that my fiancé spent $500 on. She didn’t know to look down the back of a knife to see if it was true.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I don't mind profit, I can even accept big markups under reasonable circumstances - but lying about your product is just plain wrong.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
This feels like a civil case - which would mean you would need to find the company & hope they still operate under same business & sue them in small claims court.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
A small claims against the former slice n dice - the director(s) assume liability for the debts- even for a defunct company, up to 7 years after dissolution. However, since he accepted personal property, and refuses to return it, it is actually theft under the criminal code. period. this way you get the right to the original knife or a settlement of an acceptable alternative.

One can go after him in small claims and get about half the value minus filing costs, or be compelled to complete the remediation. His counter claim is that the knife, after being owned for even a short time is a 'used' knife and only worth $250. I have seen this argument used very successfully in SCC.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
You would need to pierce the corporate veil for the shareholders to assume responsibility for the debt. Which could be the case if one shows that this particular shareholder/ director acted fraudulently & he is the only one out of possible other corporation members to be held accountable.

Of greater concern is finding him and suing him. If indeed all you can expect is half of the knife value minus filing fee I think it would be now less than $150 you can expect to win. I only dealt with SCC in US where the judge would (in most cases?) order the loosing side to pay court filing charges.

Voodoopower

A small claims against the former slice n dice - the director(s) assume liability for the debts- even for a defunct company, up to 7 years after dissolution. However, since he accepted personal property, and refuses to return it, it is actually theft under the criminal code. period. this way you get the right to the original knife or a settlement of an acceptable alternative.

One can go after him in small claims and get about half the value minus filing costs, or be compelled to complete the remediation. His counter claim is that the knife, after being owned for even a short time is a 'used' knife and only worth $250. I have seen this argument used very successfully in SCC.

Hey guys,

I am the guy that bought the space that was owned by S&D. Just to be clear, I do not speak to him or associate with him. I have some old stock which came with the space. I do not make knives or build knives. I simply sell knives. I sell knives from a couple very small builders, one out of Gaspe Quebec, and one out of Northern Alberta. I choose some models of folding knife that I carry, but again I have them made.
Believe me, I learned a few things in the process of getting involved in this business. I was under the guise I was purchasing a functioning legit business with a legit builder.
I look around the internet to see if I can find any information, but have never stumbled upon this. I have only operated since mid July of last year.
Anyone that would have given a knife to them would have went with them, and I don’t have any ties whatsoever.
I probably won’t come back on here, but if anyone has any concerns I could help you with, shoot me an email at krisbeeby@gmail.com or call the store.
I’m just a dude that likes knives who got suckered and ended up having to figure out how I was gonna get legit supplies. I hope that if you have any concerns you would contact me instead of posting things where I may not see them. I’ve lived in jasper for about 15 yrs and work as a contractor. I’m an honest guy just trying to make my way. I never falsify where my stuff comes from and have no problem providing information on all of my knives.
I’m sorry that some of you had poor experiences with Boris, I as well had the same experience.
Sincerely,
Kris

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
voodoo, That is why I said 'former' slice and dice... I suspected that something like this might have happened. For theft under 2000 (or is it 10000 now?) it is not grand theft, so police won't spend much time on it. The best bet is to find boris himself and then turn the info over to the RCMP. With theft of 500, it is serious enough to have him under threat of arrest, and if he tries to wiggle out, before a judge.

Voodoopower

I’m pretty sure sure if you talked to enough people it would be well above 10k. There seems to be a clear pattern with his moving to towns and running up bills etc and then closing up and moving.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
He will ignore you even when you find him and go to small claims. So what that you win? If he is moving from A to B to C he probably has not much property to his name. I am puzzled why there is no good way to deal with these kinds of crimes in NA.

Mikie

Update!! I had my knife returned. Apparently they lost my address and contact info when they shut their FB account down. Surprised to have a happy ending.