• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Simple metal forming

Brent H

Ultra Member
@David_R8 : I am in the process of going to build a 36” pan brake and revamp a bead roller - may even add a hydraulic press and shrinker/stretcher to the builds. My car restoration also includes beating the shite out of metal to fit - nice post ;)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 : I am in the process of going to build a 36” pan brake and revamp a bead roller - may even add a hydraulic press and shrinker/stretcher to the builds. My car restoration also includes bearing the shite out of metal to fit - nice post ;)
And I think he's a Canuck from Maple Ridge :)

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've learned more about metal expansion and contraction watching him gas weld 18ga sheet metal than I have anywhere else.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I stumbled on his channel a few months ago and have so far watched all his vids except this one. He's a talanted guy, and I like his presentation style and subject matter.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
These videos are awesome !!
I have heard of rollforming to produce profiles in heavy plate steel and seen spin-forming of lighter gauge for flanges and pipe adaptors.
This guy can cut pretty straight edges freehand with a torch !!
You will need a hefty hydraulic or mechanical press to stretch and form those indents and corner radius details, hammering does toughen the metallurgical properties.
I will keep an eye out for more by Carl Fisher - Custom Made.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
These videos are awesome !!
I have heard of rollforming to produce profiles in heavy plate steel and seen spin-forming of lighter gauge for flanges and pipe adaptors.
This guy can cut pretty straight edges freehand with a torch !!
You will need a hefty hydraulic or mechanical press to stretch and form those indents and corner radius details, hammering does toughen the metallurgical properties.
I will keep an eye out for more by Carl Fisher - Custom Made.
I was seriously impressed by his torch skills, both cutting and oxy-acetylene welding. Immediately googled two-ought tips :)

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great torch skills, wonder what the cost of that battery box per hour would be on that project. :)

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
With the One Time Tooling, Press and other requirements he probably blew out the bank.
I guess you have to consider that your time is for free and that it is a learning process which hopefully is gratifying when you see the end product.
Just make sure you follow safety rules to avoid injury.
Alternative processes make use of our creativity and resources.
Development is expensive . . . but also enlightening !!

If you want to see and learn manufacturing genius and how its arrived at with very simple concepts but sound engineering and explanations on the thought process, along with some definite funny insanity.

37 Episode's, you been warned

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
If you want to see and learn manufacturing genius and how its arrived at with very simple concepts but sound engineering and explanations on the thought process, along with some definite funny insanity.

37 Episode's, you been warned

Time well wasted :D