• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Signing for the first time - Toronto

mikefrost

I sold my hi-tech business several years ago, - finally came up for some air.
Along the way I bumped into a South Bend, a small mill , drill press, welder, and ended up fooling with a bunch of blacksmiths ( OABA) . But age is catching up - shoulders and hands can't stand the repetitive shocks.
My family had a machine shop mainly for "defense" work but I just did not like the idea of making stuff that killed people. I grew up in that business from age about 5 and learned a lot about machining and work processes. I've done a lot of woodworking including milling my own lumber drying it and then designing and making elaborate furniture for my home. The house now has all the furniture cabinets etc. etc. it will ever need.
So, now I'm kinda back to my "roots" - making chips, tooling, fixtures and designing / repairing "stuff".

I've looked at some of the USA based web forums, but found them to be a bit parochial and "preachy" about non-North American machinery. I hope this web forum has a broader perspective .
Mike

trlvn

Ultra Member
Welcome from Oakville and thanks for giving us a little background. Sorry to hear that you've had to curtail your blacksmithing. A buddy of mine has a forge and it is always great fun bashing bits of hot metal!

Craig

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome. Nice to have you. I'm quite sure you will like this forum, there are a broad range of talents and while there are folks here that could be "professional" with their talents, the atmosphere is generally hobbyist in nature as in "accomplish the job because you enjoy it and do it with what you have to work with."

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Welcome Mike from chilly Saskatchewan, enjoy the forum great bunch of lads here.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from farm country south of Chatham Ontario. Thanks for the quick intro. Great bunch of people here. I'm sure you will find lots to enjoy, lots to learn, and lots to help others with. I sure have.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Welcome Mike !!
I just had a few minutes to look through the ‘Forums’ on CHMW.
(I have been setting up my NEW King Canada mill in my basement shop)
Good thing there was some slack time during Christmas this year.

There is a lot of experience in this group.
From designers to fabricators to millwrights and project managers.

I was a manual machinist at ExCellO Special Tools, studied engineering during the 80s, became a project manager and since then co-ordinated machine development projects for Kellogg’s, Arva Crane, Big O, Flowserve and COMAC.
I still work for the WHITELAW Group part-time, out of Cambridge.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Hello @mikefrost

Glad you have come aboard. I agree most of the US forums can get pretty preachy. This is more of a community than a forum.
Do any of you guys in Cambridge Ont know the user x.l.r.8 at hobbymachinist.com?

deleted_user

Super User
I sold my hi-tech business several years ago, - finally came up for some air.
Along the way I bumped into a South Bend, a small mill , drill press, welder, and ended up fooling with a bunch of blacksmiths ( OABA) . But age is catching up - shoulders and hands can't stand the repetitive shocks.
My family had a machine shop mainly for "defense" work but I just did not like the idea of making stuff that killed people. I grew up in that business from age about 5 and learned a lot about machining and work processes. I've done a lot of woodworking including milling my own lumber drying it and then designing and making elaborate furniture for my home. The house now has all the furniture cabinets etc. etc. it will ever need.
So, now I'm kinda back to my "roots" - making chips, tooling, fixtures and designing / repairing "stuff".

I've looked at some of the USA based web forums, but found them to be a bit parochial and "preachy" about non-North American machinery. I hope this web forum has a broader perspective .
Mike
Welcome Mike.

I grew tired of the rah rah USA garbage on most US forums too... I'm ex-pat American, not that I had much choice at the time, and got enough of that every time I visited US relatives.

ThirtyOneDriver

Johnathan (John)
@Dabbler - I'm one of those Cambridge guys, but (as you know) I'm still wet behind the ears and have only joined this one forum so I haven't had the pleasure(?) of meeting x.l.r.8. ... his name sounds kind of car related so I may know him/know of him IRL.

Welcome @mikefrost - there's a couple of guys kicking around that have gained experience working on "defence" products that are now using those skills in a different way - really cool to hear about your wood working interest, etc.. I perceive the wood working hobby as really rewarding and the materials are really beautiful. Enjoy!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from Vancouver Island.
The only other machinist group I belong to is Hobby Machinst. Very friendly, non-judgemental group of folks as I expect @Dabbler will attest to.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@David_R8 is right, Hobbymachinist isn't as 'cozy' as here, but with 40,000 members and counting, it tends to be more 'big city' like... I really appreciate both forums for different reasons, and participate about equally on both.

Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from way North of you. Yes, as has been said, good people and a wealth of knowledge here. Enjoy!