• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Shop press build

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I contemplated a warning about pressurized gas VS oil earlier in this thread, but decided against it. But if you are thinking about making your own cylinder out of cast aluminium, I have changed my mind. Pressurized oil (or other liquids relieve the pressure instantly when something breaks because they are incompressable. Gas can be compressed and therefore it can explode sending shrapnel everywhere at high velocity if something breaks. So if you decide to use your own castings, then make sure you bleed all the air/gas out of the system before building any pressure. This is VERY IMPORTANT.
mmm...interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I probably would have put up a shield anyways but now will definitely take precautions. Thanks

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
now we can go down the rabbit hole of Newton’s laws. The spring from the dial indicator also deflects the beam. Millionths of an inch, but maybe Dan Gelbart could measure it!

Attachments

• D448440A-0F6A-4CB9-8D60-F4AB7D61BE2F.jpeg
    D448440A-0F6A-4CB9-8D60-F4AB7D61BE2F.jpeg
    463.6 KB · Views: 4