• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop layout / shop work flow

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
94EF675B-E0C1-4BF8-B972-E33A5EF307A5.jpeg
How do you have an efficient shop set up?

I need to keep “bay one” open in order to pull a truck in. It’s got airlines and outlets for power.

I want to set up a “station” with a vise, bench grinder, belt sander and work bench near the work bay.

I have pegboard with supplies, a bolt bin and a couple cabinets for other needed shop supplies in the general area.

Tool box and such need to be near the work bay, too

Thoughts?

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Keep grinder and belt sander away from any other machine tools and tool boxes. Ditto if you do any clean assembly work. Abrasive dust is hard on almost everything.

Chicken lights

Keep grinder and belt sander away from any other machine tools and tool boxes. Ditto if you do any clean assembly work. Abrasive dust is hard on almost everything.
My shop is an “L” shape. I’d like to try to keep the “dirty” work in the “bay one” straight section of the shop

I’m not sure how you’d keep everything in clean vs dirty areas

Good suggestions, thanks!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I loss my commenting privileges on shop layout about the same time I started playing Frogger to manoeuvre around in mine. If I have a big meal that day, I can't get through.

Seriously though, my two cents would be keep PC's away from dusty areas and account for ability to bring in and cut long stock.

Brent H

Ultra Member
IMG_2809.JPG

I built this welding bench- has two tool boxes and slide out mounts on each end- the top is 1/2" steel plate 36 x 48. The slide out mounts have a vise (yo can see on the end) and a drop down that holds a cut off band saw or the plasma cutter. It all rolls and is very stable. I roll it out in the car bay and the garage shop expands instantly. Works super well when my wife is away at work and I just roll it back before the car goes in.

Chicken lights

7AB51E48-EC90-41D5-917C-928CCF642334.jpeg
I think what I’m missing is a work bench by bay one. There’s never anywhere to put anything down or work on anything

I did pick up a cart from Canadian tire for $30. They called it a garden cart, I put the flat shelf on top and the expanded steel shelves on the bottom.

I can’t even hardly buy four casters for $30

I am definitely liking having things on wheels. A buddy of mine has a cabinet he’s storing here, I built him a moving dolly just for the cabinet. Like the barrel dollies I was messing with, life is GRAND when you can just wheel stuff around

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Agree with everything on wheels, except you will want a rigid mounted bench/work area for hand cutting or heavy filing. I have a bench that i made out of an old hospital emergency room bed. Works awesome for adjusting height of work, moving around but even with the heavy braking pads underneath, when I was trying to hacksaw some material before i had a metal bandsaw, it would shake and move around a lot. I have since installed a heavy bench along one wall and have tool chests on wheels underneath. Still have the mobile one as well, but use it for layout and cut off table from my table saw.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I saw a really cool trick for space saving. The guy mounted a couple of 2 inch tow hitch receivers just under the edge of his work bench. One at each end. He then mounted his tools ( vises, bench grinders, etc ) on 2 inch square tubing. All the tools were stored on a shelf under the bench and when needed were plugged into a hitch receiver. I may yet do that on my welding table.

Chicken lights

Tarps are the bane of my existence. They are heavy, take up space and are awkward. They can’t really go on a shelf, they’re just too ornery

Tire chains are another one of those “where do I store these”

Oddball things are annoying to find good storage for

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Tarps are the bane of my existence. They are heavy, take up space and are awkward. They can’t really go on a shelf, they’re just too ornery

Tire chains are another one of those “where do I store these”

Oddball things are annoying to find good storage for
I use an old tent duffle bag for my tarps, its really weak material though im just to cheap to get better but that does not stop me from packing them in solid. May work for you may not.

Dr.Fiero

One thing I'm (starting) to do is find what stuff I have that is only odd-use things, or material that's rarely used and moving it to off-site storage... aka, one of my garden sheds!

Found I was dedicating too much valuable real estate that could be better put to use for common activity things.

FB Marketplace has also been getting exercised more... cough... ;)

Chicken lights

I think I have a plan. I picked up the graph paper in the first post and basically drew out what’s the current set up.

I have some reshuffling to do, I’m not sure if I’ll redraw the new plan or just wing it and redraw it after I’m done shuffling

I wish I had a shed or some such I could dump unused things for just storage. I’ll mull that idea around in my head and see what pops out from there. Even $50 a month for a storage locker might not be a bad idea

Ideas ideas ideas

Dr.Fiero

At $50/m, youd be probably better off to buy your own, or toss the stuff.
I watched a buddy who (against my advise) put all his furniture in storage as he went off to work at sea.
By the time he got back, what he had paid in storage, he could have bought all new stuff TWICE!

Chicken lights

At $50/m, youd be probably better off to buy your own, or toss the stuff.
I watched a buddy who (against my advise) put all his furniture in storage as he went off to work at sea.
By the time he got back, what he had paid in storage, he could have bought all new stuff TWICE!
You’re right, of course

However, when it’s a business decision, as in “it’s a write off and it gains me X amount of space”, $50/month isn’t a lot of money

But I do see your point

I have a Uhaul that I’m going to look at the space inside and maybe revamp some of that space too. Likely I can free up some space for some of the items that are just storage.

Now if I could buy a SECOND Uhaul for cheap...