Shop executor?

trlvn

Ultra Member
I haven't done it but...

Would a set of narrated videos be a sufficient compromise? A video for each major machine and toolbox or tool storage location. For example, I might video the area where I keep my metrology stuff and explain that the several asian dial indicators are only worth a few dollars each. But that the US and UK DTI's are more sensitive and therefore worth about $x each. Etc, etc, etc. Store the videos, appropriately named, on a cloud service and share access with those might need it. Add a **START HERE** video that indicates what they'll find in the rest of the videos. [Plan to update it all every few years but never actually get around to it!!]

Still a lot of work but at least you can help them identify the gems among the dross. When I was dealing with my Mom's estate, I spent a lot of time looking up stuff (like China tea cups and antique marbles) and being worried that I was going to offer up something for far less than it was worth. I did the same thing earlier with my Dad's guns (like a Parker shotgun) and coin collection.

Or go with the approach that Steven Wright is following. He says: "I plan to live forever. So far, so good."

;)

Craig

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I just plan to procrastinate on this long enough that Neuralink will be a thing, and I can just download all the mental images of where my stuff is, and what I have, and store it into a database. Same way I do it now, just with a more reliable memory system that isn't as easily prone to damage :D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I just plan to procrastinate on this long enough that Neuralink will be a thing,

You might live long enough for that. But I won't.

Would a set of narrated videos be a sufficient compromise?

I love this Craig. I've somewhat been doing the photograph approach (mostly for insurance evidence), but the video method would be much better in the event of my death. I'll have to see what my phones minimum video capabilities are. It's one thing to post a video on YouTube and quite another to save 20 or 30 video segments.

Very cool idea and well worth investigating. Thank you for sharing!

BaitMaster

Super User
I have so much crap my wife wouldn’t know a thing about. Climbing gear, machines, chainsaws, boat, quad, archery equipment…. Boomsticks……hopefully my buddies are alive when I die and can help her.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Dave , when I was at Dabbler's place I spotted an empty corner . That was last August so it could be filled by now . ;)

Trust me, it's filled...
Hey, I saw some of my floor yesterday!

On topic, I have tried the photograph thing before, and checked it with my insurance rep. He said that detailed explanation about the brand and quality is needed, because otherwise insurance companies assume an 'average price' for your socket set, or whatever. Snap-on isn't ;average price' for example.

I love the video idea - sort of a shop tour with benefits!