Shop executor?

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This is food for thought.
Thanks.
When I was in business i had this covered. Both my wife and i knew what / how it would be done and who would help her do it.
But now my shop stuff (dollars and tons) has grown and would be a problem for her.
I need to fix this.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Anyone else notice David hasn't shown his face in this thread since the original post?
Is he hiding from his potentially murderous wife?
Is it too late already?
Or are we not being particularly helpful?
Maybe the discussion was started by his wife, and not the real David?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Anyone else notice David hasn't shown his face in this thread since the original post?

Technically speaking, that's not true. He was lurking cuz he did react to a few posts. Could have been the Mrs checking out ideas though......

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Germane to this topic somewhat, I've been wanting a home/personal inventory program. Ideally with the ability to create customer fields, sort of by fields/categories, unlimited photos right from smart phone, CVS import and export, android and PC version that synch..... and of course, unlimited and FREE!

Snipe-it might be the one. Open source if you host yourself (that'll take some brain damage) Browser based but also has a android application.

Anyone tried it? There are ton of others, but they all have one or a niggling compromises or aren't free.

I can see a location like box 5 drawer 2, and then there are photos, name, notes, estimate new value etc. The idea is the more organized you are, the easier it will be on the executor and the odds of it getting into the hands of someone who'd appreciate it vs a dumpster goes up.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Germane to this topic somewhat, I've been wanting a home/personal inventory program. Ideally with the ability to create customer fields, sort of by fields/categories, unlimited photos right from smart phone, CVS import and export, android and PC version that synch..... and of course, unlimited and FREE!

Snipe-it might be the one. Open source if you host yourself (that'll take some brain damage) Browser based but also has a android application.

Anyone tried it? There are ton of others, but they all have one or a niggling compromises or aren't free.

I can see a location like box 5 drawer 2, and then there are photos, name, notes, estimate new value etc. The idea is the more organized you are, the easier it will be on the executor and the odds of it getting into the hands of someone who'd appreciate it vs a dumpster goes up.
Good idea. I used to have a camera equipment inventory app for insurance purposes. Snipe-it seems simple enough.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Years ago i did tons of photos throughout the house and garage. Put it on an SD card. Gave one to my daughter (i think).
WAY OVERDUE for a redue. I trust that more than a free app.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Although it might not be free, you might already have a license for Access - Microsoft Office's Relational Database or Google Clouds Data Storage.

I have not done what you suggest. But as you might expect, I am not a fan of excessive organization.

I think Snipe-it was designed for IT control freaks who want to know where all their IT assets are. For this purpose, I'd prefer an application that collects free-form data and then figures out various ways to organize and present it based on open questions like: what's all in toolbox A drawer 1, or where are all my pliers, or how many pliers do I have, or list all my pliers, or what else is in with my open end wrenches, or where is my 5/16ths hex driver, etc.

I think it's ok to have a keyed database, but I shouldn't have to remember the keys to make it work for me.

It must support voice recognition. If I have to type everything in, I'll be dead before I'm done. That way I can also put tools with projects and move them to another project and still know where they are. I'm already pretty good at that but voice control would be awesome. I could even tell it where I put my glasses and actually have it remember.

I'm ok with CVS input and output, but this should only be for data entry or structured output because I prefer unstructured data.

It should also allow me to tell it I moved my large vise grips to the drawer with the monkey wrenches in it, or that I ran out of room in my screw driver drawer so I put some of my hex drivers on top of my #5 workbench temporarily.

My brain does a pretty good job of all that already, but a voice app would be better. Especially if I want to give the data to one or more of my kids.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As i said above - just some pictures to document the basic stuff- never mind the apps or storing on some cloud, whatever the H a cloud looks like or will look like years from now.
As Joe Friday supposedly said “Just the facts, ma’am”

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Although it might not be free, you might already have a license for Access - Microsoft Office's Relational Database or Google Clouds Data Storage.

I've used Access and get the all the necessary components are in front of us already, camera, excel, access etc.

The point is phone applications bring convenience to it. The days it would take sitting at a screen matching photos to notes etc, for me, that is unlikely to ever happen. A synced DB application on the phone where photos are taken right in the app and you can make notes by voice recognition is just sooo much better. With that, it just might happen.

Its open source and runs in linux, not some free turd that only stores 200 items or that will disappear. You host it! It being there and the data is in your control.

I think Snipe-it was designed for IT control freaks who want to know where all their IT assets are.

Could be, but what I read was its flexible and powerful to the point where you just tune it in to do what you want it do, ignore the rest and that it's ideal for home inventory or collecting. I haven't tried it so don't how good it is, just asking if anyone has to see if there is merit to those claims. i.e. is it worth setting up, which for me, not being a an IT guy, might cause some minor mental pain.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The point is phone applications bring convenience to it.

I could not agree more. I hardly ever use my desktop anymore for the same reasons. Maybe I am pushing limits, but I have and use office and most of its components on my phone. Sometimes I even use a mouse and keyboard on my phone - but usually not. If the required program didn't work on my phone, it would be a non-starter. I had assumed access would be available on Android, but I see now that a native access app isn't available on Android. However, the access web portal is. No idea how difficult it is to use. There are also many apps that will access Access.

Could be, but what I read was its flexible and powerful to the point where you just tune it in to do what you want it do, ignore the rest and that it's ideal for home inventory or collecting. I haven't tried it so don't how good it is, just asking if anyone has to see if there are merit to those claims. i.e. is worth setting up, which for me, not being a an IT guy, might cause some minor mental pain.

I'm a big believer in using various programs for things they were not designed to do. In a particularly extreme example, I used a palm pilot program designed for shopping (handy shopper) to do project management and built an entire office tower using it. So I hear you and I encourage you.

For me, and perhaps for you, I think the make or break issue would be whether or not the records need to be keyed. A keyed database would be a show stopper for me. But maybe you actually need it. I sense that you are naturally more organized than I am. Therefore it's possible that you would benefit from a keyed database.

Like handy shopper, snipe it may have dedicated resource types but that's of little consequence to someone like you who can easily imagine that a fruit is a machine and a vegetable is a tool. What will make or break snipe it in that regard will be the number of sub categories and sub sub categories and sub sub sub categories of laptops it supports. Ideally infinite, but I find all too often that even sub categories are rare. With or without keys, if snipe it supports infinite levels of categories, I'll be testing it myself for life management. All I was really trying to say in my last post is that IT managers can be control freaks and that would be a bad thing. I did notice that the program has admins and super admins - a clear harbinger of bad things to come.

Edit - I took a quick cursory look at snipe it categories just now. Looks like it only has one level - a showstopper for me. If you know what I'm talking about, it's most likely a showstopper for you too. If you don't, it might work just fine.