Shop executor?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My Mrs asked me the other day what she's to do with all of my shop stuff in the event of my untimely demise.
Got me thinking about the problem and what to do about it.
Wondering if anyone has designated a 'shop executor'?

Last edited:

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
My Mrs asked me the other day what she's to do with all of my shop stuff in the event of my untimely demise.
Got me thinking about the problem and what to do about it.
Wondering if anyone has designated a 'shop executor'?
Yep. Some years prematurely, certainly, but I have a friend who knows the value and how to move it. Not a problem I want to leave my spouse with.
Need to formalize that into the will, which needs updating anyways.

Simple David, when you die, give me a call and I'll be around within the hour.
See if you can get him to call ahead of time, so he can show you where things are..... Might be his wife you set up that date with.....:rolleyes:
I find those kind of arrangements can get kinda messy in the legal arena though. ;)

jorogi

See if you can get him to call ahead of time, so he can show you where things are..... Might be his wife you set up that date with.....:rolleyes:
I find those kind of arrangements can get kinda messy in the legal arena though. ;)
Yeh good point, is the wife included, can she bake good pies ? Maybe post a pic.

Nah just kidding, I already got one and she pretty clear on her thoughts about other women.:p

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
yep, i do, i told him he is to keep what he wants and sell the rest and give it to my widow

i have had more than one highly dangerous past time

however if we both die at the same time thats problematic, i should appoint a second

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
SWMBO has declared that she intends to go first so she doesn’t have to deal with all my crap. My oldest son has no idea that my will states he gets all of my shop. Payback for all those days when I had to accompany him while he was delivering papers in the rain.

SWMBO has declared that she intends to go first so she doesn’t have to deal with all my crap. My oldest son has no idea that my will states he gets all of my shop. Payback for all those days when I had to accompany him while he was delivering papers in the rain.
I proudly proclaimed mine to be their inheritance as well.....:rolleyes:

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
ultimately I’m gone so I don’t care, and I’ve promised not to haunt anyone for giving stuff away……

but my kids will get first pass and I’ve asked my wife to call some of my closer contacts from this forum (you know who you are) to see if they want to offer on anything and finally just call an auction company.

I told her it doesn’t matter what I paid or what it’s worth, just get rid of it. I know how brutal it is for people to disperse of an estate and I wouldn’t put that on anyone.

So, fire sale coming ! And keep an eye on the obits!

Oh, and if I happen to own any Deckel equipment it is yours @RobinHood because I’m sure you’d just happen to be 6 miles away with an empty trailer like usual anyways……..

BMW Rider

Super User
Hopefully she's not planning your untimely demise, just planning in case of it.

I have had the same thoughts about what to do with all my stuff having no kids to leave the burden to. I figure just having an auction to clear it out would be the simplest means of dealing with it. My wife is presently dealing with being the Power of Attorney for her aunt who has advanced dementia following the recent passing of her husband. There are a lot of issues to sort out and the one thing I would say that would help anyone having to deal with your estate is a clear outline of financial and physical assets, where to find them and what to do with them. It's been like a detective mystery trying to figure all the various finances and such for her aunt. Also having all banking and investments as joint holding greatly simplifies the process for the surviving spouse.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Hopefully she's not planning your untimely demise, just planning in case of it.

I have had the same thoughts about what to do with all my stuff having no kids to leave the burden to. I figure just having an auction to clear it out would be the simplest means of dealing with it. My wife is presently dealing with being the Power of Attorney for her aunt who has advanced dementia following the recent passing of her husband. There are a lot of issues to sort out and the one thing I would say that would help anyone having to deal with your estate is a clear outline of financial and physical assets, where to find them and what to do with them. It's been like a detective mystery trying to figure all the various finances and such for her aunt. Also having all banking and investments as joint holding greatly simplifies the process for the surviving spouse.
Absolutely.
Both of my parents had dementia and when Dad passed I had to play detective to find where the investments were. It was simplified somewhat that the will left everything to Mom but with her having dementia as well it was still a lot of work and time to sort things out. It has been 4 years now since Mom died and I just got an email from Tangerine bank saying that her account has been inactive for 9 years and will be transferred to the Bank of Canada as an abandoned account in 6 months. Didn't even know she had one. So now it's back to providing death certificates, probated wills and letters from the executor ,me, to Tangerine to release the account information to me. Don't even know if there is 1 dollar or a million in the account.
Having provisional or enduring power of attorney set up in advance is essential as well to make things easier for whoever is left to handle things.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
She knows to just call the local auctioneer, and sell it on one swoop after the kids pick through it and take what they want, unless one of them wants it all. I bought it all for pretty much next to nothing at auction/classified prices, and none of it is high dollar rare antiques, or really super nice condition. Take what they give you and hopefully it's enough for a nice vacation somewhere warm for the winter. Hopefully a bunch of people can get some good deals on nice usable tools to help fill out their shops, and continue to make stuff and it all gets used, instead of melted down. The farm auction that would happen when I kick would be a pretty good one I'd say. Lots of deals to be had.

That's my plan anyway. It's all just stuff, and money. Most of it is worth what it weighs. Hopefully neither us us will have to make those decisions for a very long time.