• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop crane

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have one of those. They work really well, and the Build Something Cool guy even did some extreme things with his: (you'll have to delete the spaces)

https:// www.youtube.com /watch?v=EGEYRsxS_J0

Not necessarily what I'd recommend doing with one. that's over the top!

Downside: they don't store small. Mine is tucked in the corner of my yard, under a tarp.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Note that fully extended (highest lift) it’s only rated ¼ Ton. The one I had at the group 4140 buy is ½ ton fully extended. ¼ ton is probably ok for the majority of jobs. Mine is heavy but it comes apart into manageable sized pieces quite easily. It takes about 3’x3’ when folded up. For some of us that can be a problem

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Princess has a shop crane engine hoist for $170. It’s one ton but 2000lbs is more than I need. I’m hoping it’s lighter than the usual hoists. They don’t have any in stock right now but claim to be getting them. ...

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-ton-folding-shop-crane/A-p8683005e
@Johnwa 's point is well taken; most people use at full extension so 1/4T. My lesson John is related to the legs. I recently gave mine away--main reason is that those legs won't fit around a pallet or many of the things such as machines I want to lift. Hence my gantry crane build. I'm sure you can fab a different leg setup that will span a pallet, etc., but I didn't want to be bothered.

If you want something lightweight and portable, what about one of these: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-4-ton-lever-chain-hoist/A-p8051699e and making your own frame John? I have one you can test and play with if you want....

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I am really good at abusing these cranes. Seems i am always overweight and under prepaired.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I know...so was I. Always thought a mod for the feet would be hugely popular as an aftermarket item. But the main reason these are all made overseas is liability. No one would pay for North American diligence on these...way too much risk.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
How much of this is insurance?

Attachments

• 0BB1A944-197B-4DEB-823B-9ED10A126569.png
    0BB1A944-197B-4DEB-823B-9ED10A126569.png
    371.4 KB · Views: 0

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
OMG. Are you serious? I was thinking specifically about a wide footprint mod, but this takes it to a new level.

No wait, John...I know....it's counterbalanced with gold to make it safe!

Holy cow Batman.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Am hoping this is one of the vendor shopping cart tricks where the seller inflates the price so no one buys it rather than disabling the product. I once saw replacement plastic toothpicks for Swiss Army Knives for $1500 for a 10-pack.

Even Bruce Wayne couldn't afford those.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I love it! Anyone want to buy my shop crane for $9000? - It is a savings of $588.49!!
If you designed yourself John, I'll bet it's better than anything commercial on the market. What? No cup holder? Deal's off!

Jimbojones

Acklands has a long history of exaggerated catalog prices and its not uncommon in the industry as they aren't interested in casual buyers...they want big companies that make ongoing purchases and in return offer them unpublished discounts.. I've gotten stuff from them 50-75% off catalog and even then it was a mediocre deal...its all a game that has no basis in reality.

Jimbojones

Here's another example; your common PD30-style mill drill. Every importer sells one with slight variations
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/MILL-DRILL-MACHINE,16-IN-SWING,60HZ/p/EBP2LKP9

Even at 40% off, it's STILL more expensive than KMS tools. Sales guy offered to give me a 'smoking deal' at 25% off and I laughed in his face....50% off would have been a 'slight' deal. Add the fact the they've lost most of their good staff due to major downsizing in this province so my customer service experiences in the last year have been dismal at best. They are one of the LAST places I go to find stuff.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
OMG - And probably a 12 week delivery time, while they import it from China for $800 their cost.