• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop Shop Alarm Systems

Shop

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
They are as handy as a pocket on a shirt, provided they stay oiled, and you keep your face away from the handle

When you were over here the other week, I had that hooklift unit i was installing on that F650 in the first bay. When I was figuring out exactly where it was going on the truck frame in order to get the mounting plates to clear all the obstacles and whatnot, I used my Jackalls to shove it forward and back a few dozen times. Very handy tool in the shop too.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
When you were over here the other week, I had that hooklift unit i was installing on that F650 in the first bay. When I was figuring out exactly where it was going on the truck frame in order to get the mounting plates to clear all the obstacles and whatnot, I used my Jackalls to shove it forward and back a few dozen times. Very handy tool in the shop too.
I agree, one usually lives in my pickup, they’re great for trailers or picking up project vehicles. Although I think I had a floor jack with me on one run, buddy dropped it on the floor and the handle got him in the forehead. Knocked him right on his tookas for a few minutes :D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What pray tell, is a "black noise maker"?

Post in thread 'Shop Alarm Systems' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/shop-alarm-systems.6531/post-97033

When we were kids, where the Glen Abby golf course now stands, we'd hike to the area, but stayed off that farmer's fields... He had a 'salt and pepper gun' a 10 gauge loaded with salt - you provided the pepper, by moving fast off his land.

There was a farmer just like that near my highschool. With great trepidation, I went to a dance his daughter hosted. It was among the most docile and well behaved events I ever attended back then.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Darren answered already, but--

I wanted to add that Jack-All was a Canadian version of the 'farm jack', but it was far better made than anything buy-able today. The centre beam was hot rolled (at Stelco if you'd like to know) and -hot punched- for the lifting holes (later drilled for accuracy). It had an original capacity of 12,000 lbs, later derated to 8,000 lbs when they went to malleable Iron as the carrier, rather than cast steel.

I own one of the 8,000 lbs ones, but in my 4X4 days I had a 5.5 ft 12,000 lb one before I could afford a winch.

I have both 3 and 4 ton versions. Never saw a 6 ton.

Use them all time.

I agree with @Chicken lights . Best to keep your face and head well clear of that handle. I had it hit my arm once. Lesson learned with only a big black bruise to show for it. Reminds me of getting kicked by a horse or my grandpa's hand. Instant life-long respect.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Jack-All was a Canadian version of the 'farm jack'
I knew what that was! Another 30 year’s and I’ll be mostly Canadian with an Australian voice!

That’s great you tested it to see how easily something from your shed could be used to help break in!

My main deterrent is the basement stairs. If a burglar can bring the lathe or mill up those then I think I’ll watch from a distance…

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Motion sensors to limit movement, well placed allows movement within protect zone while on. Two (or more) key pads Main Entry(s) and master bedroom. Lets you see which zones are active (open or motion).

For camera systems can go one of two ways.

Stand alone Wireless ip system, there are lots, some better than others. Remember they still require power.

Or dedicated recording systems that also hardwire into you router are lot better. Again don't go wireless here as power must be provided anyway. Same note as alarm system.
If I only wanted one camera (outside) , going to an inside monitor, do I still need a router? Or can it all be hardwired?

If it wasn’t going to record at all, you wouldn’t need any memory storage space, right? Basically a motion activated trail cam going to a screen to watch what the camera sees, when it senses movement

There are IP camera from TP link that you install a memory card and access from a smart phone if needed. As long as you have a Wifi connection for these to log into and power you are golden.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If I only wanted one camera (outside) , going to an inside monitor, do I still need a router? Or can it all be hardwired?

If it wasn’t going to record at all, you wouldn’t need any memory storage space, right? Basically a motion activated trail cam going to a screen to watch what the camera sees, when it senses movement

You can still buy such devices, however, they get quite expensive. I'm not aware of any wired trail cams, but there are wireless ones.

I think your cheapest solution is a wireless router that does not connect to the internet. In this case you can get long range WiFi cameras (Toucan or Arlo to name just two) that can be viewed by another monitor or even your phone over the wireless (WiFi) network in your home. But you won't be able to see it when you are away from home.

Another solution that might be even cheaper is a doorbell camera or a baby monitor.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a Swann system on/in the shop. Its a hardwired PVR system. Its ok, not fantastic. At the house I have a Ring floodlight camera, which is awesome. It is hardwired for power, wi-fi for data. It was about a ten minute install, replacing a regular floodlight. Has a 190* field of view, light activation by movement or sound, fantastic picture/sound quality. Doing it over, i'd buy 4 Ring floodlight cameras and not have the Swann PVR system.

You can still buy such devices, however, they get quite expensive. I'm not aware of any wired trail cams, but there are wireless ones.

I think your cheapest solution is a wireless router that does not connect to the internet. In this case you can get long range WiFi cameras (Toucan or Arlo to name just two) that can be viewed by another monitor or even your phone over the wireless (WiFi) network in your home. But you won't be able to see it when you are away from home.

Another solution that might be even cheaper is a doorbell camera or a baby monitor.
IP cameras such as Topo by TP-link use the home/shop wifi to connect to the internet cloud bridge for you to view to any where in the world.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
IP cameras such as Topo by TP-link use the home/shop wifi to connect to the internet cloud bridge for you to view to any where in the world.

Ya, but unless I misunderstood, @Chicken lights didn't want something with an internet connection. I don't think he has one. I am fairly certain that he does not have WiFi. Might be good to read his first post again.

Chicken - with all this amazing advice you have been given, what are your thoughts?

With you being gone so much, I'm having a bit of a problem trying to understand your needs. What are you trying to achieve here?

Ya, but unless I misunderstood, @Chicken lights didn't want something with an internet connection. I don't think he has one. I am fairly certain that he does not have WiFi. Might be good to read his first post again.

Chicken - with all this amazing advice you have been given, what are your thoughts?

With you being gone so much, I'm having a bit of a problem trying to understand your needs. What are you trying to achieve here?
Silly boy, you didn't have your coffee this morning.....

Just think a moment about your statement, how is he posting on the group, which just in case you didn't know is on the internet, if he doesn't have internet. And generally any access point provided by a provider has WiFi.

Enquiring minds want to know.

:cool:

PS I'd use an animated Rolling face EMOJI but the site doesn't support it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ya, good questions. He only uses a phone? Eyes rolling back at you.......

My next door neighbour farmer only uses a phone too with no provider. Phones out here are WAAAAY faster than a provider. That's another reason why I mostly just use my phone. My home internet really sucks - it screams at 500k till all the kids come. Then it drops to 100 or so. What's yours? 50M? (more eyes rolling).

@Chicken lights is always on the road so not much value in a provider???? I really don't know. That's partly why I asked him what his needs were in my last post.

Too many assumptions here.

Let's wait to see what he is after.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I dont really care who's in my shop, dont need to know what they look like....just want them gone before they get loaded up so I have an alarm system integrated into my air system that runs a locomotive horn inside the shop ...when someone trips that trip-rope tied to the air valve aint nobody stayin' in that building. No mater what time of day or night, if Im at home I will hear that horn very plainly ( my bedroom is not more than 100 ft from that horn when it goes off).