• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shipping from USA to Canada - Rant

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Perhaps I’m just becoming a grumpy old guy…..

I was ready to place an order at Discount_Machine (eBay) / Shars for a Tegara 440V vise (27lbs to Ottawa), I sent an email asking if they could ship Global shipping program or alternatively USPS (slowest, least expensive mode).

They respond with a shipping quote for next day of US$170 ($227 Cdn). Seems more like send Nike in a Lear jet right now shipping mode).

If I were to ship in the opposite direction Canada Post Expediated Parcel, quotes $70 + $13 fuel surcharge = $83Cdn

If this was shipped with eBays Global shipping it would probably be about $30-40.

I'm not going to pay $227 to ship a 27lb vise, need to keep looking.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Can you do a drop to a US based expediter?

How often do you get to Toronto? Lots of border expediters there.

Also, consider buying an even better vise for less from Canada. Good excuse to do it.......

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Can you do a drop to a US based expediter?

How often do you get to Toronto? Lots of border expediters there.

Also, consider buying an even better vise for less from Canada. Good excuse to do it.......

The Tegara 440V seems to get great reviews and the price (US$250-275) is lower than anything I have found in Canada that seems comparable. A 5-6" vise is too large for my small mill.

I'm all ears if there is something comparable in Canada that would solve the shipping issue.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The Tegara 440V seems to get great reviews and the price (US$250-275) is lower than anything I have found in Canada that seems comparable. A 5-6" vise is too large for my small mill.

I'm all ears if there is something comparable in Canada that would solve the shipping issue.

I think you misunderstood my comment. I wasn't saying there was anything at that price in Canada.

I WAS suggesting that with that much coin all in plus hassle you could justify buying a much nicer more expensive vise.

Basically, I'm suggesting that you view it as an opportunity to justify splurging.

Have a look at what SOWA Canada has to offer. A 4" is over a grand, but they are low profile and they are fantastic vises. The prismatic GS vises are a thing of beauty. You can put your tap-down hammer away. I have one and I love it.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
They respond with a shipping quote for next day of US$170 ($227 Cdn). Seems more like send Nike in a Lear jet right now shipping mode).

If I were to ship in the opposite direction Canada Post Expediated Parcel, quotes $70 + $13 fuel surcharge = $83Cdn

I suspect there is a cost jump difference difference between next day & expedited delivery time.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Has anyone tried the KBC GripLock (SKU 8-251-004), supposedly made in Taiwan
Yep - thats a very nice, solidly built vice. Overall it's over 4-1/2 high with the swivel base. Take that off and it becomes useful on a small mill.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
About a year ago I bought the KBC 4" griplock because it was pictured as a Homge brand. When it arrived it was a generic could have been anything build unit. When I questioned KBC they confirmed it was MIC and the picture just hadn't been updated, I sent it back and shortly after the picture was changed.
To me it's just the normal $200 -$300 Amazon quality vise, it was okay but for me it was overpriced.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
About a year ago I bought the KBC 4" griplock because it was pictured as a Homge brand. When it arrived it was a generic could have been anything build unit. When I questioned KBC they confirmed it was MIC and the picture just hadn't been updated, I sent it back and shortly after the picture was changed.
To me it's just the normal $200 -$300 Amazon quality vise, it was okay but for me it was overpriced.
Well thanks for the warning. Based on a multitude of comments the made in Taiwan versions seem to have happy customers while the mic versions are just not of the same quality.