• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shipping from US

Jimbojones

I know members have talked about this somewhat locally (Calgary) but a search of the forums came up empty so I wanted to get information collected on shipping products from the US.

I already have a few US drop boxes and that helps me avoid costly shipping to Canada (sometimes...its even free). It makes the most sense to use them if I'm already travelling to US OR if I have a big enough purchase to offset the time/cost of driving for a day to go get it. Otherwise, I can't justify it for just a few, relatively low-cost items.

There is a company called DYK and they offer to ship to their US address and then use USPS once inside USA. They claim to save 60%+ but it seems like they only ship FROM Canada.

I know others mentioned that someone in Calgary has a business where they bring back shipment FROM U.S. to Calgary and may be able to do so cheaper than either 1) myself getting it 2) having sender ship to all the way here. But for the life of me I cant remember that companies name/find their website.

If you know what that company is and/or have proven options to reduce shipping costs from US (not otherwise mentioned), please add them to this thread.

BTW - unless its free, I typically pick UPSP over Fedex, UPS, DHL....in the end they are cheaper x-border shipping because those other guys tack on a bunch of extra charges ABOVE the shipping cost whereas USPS is all-inclusive (except for Canadian taxes due, if any)

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I’ve seen a couple Alberta members reference “border bee” duty services. An Ontario member said he uses “needusaaddress.com”

I did a quick search on the forum for “border bee” and a few posts came up

Jimbojones

Called Border Bee and they're not interested in this type of business. Their focal is brokering and not transportation.
If I recall, there is a company in/near Calgary who specifically does both the brokering AND transportation...and does it routinely from Sweetgrass....anyone?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There is a company called DYK and they offer to ship to their US address and then use USPS once inside USA. They claim to save 60%+ but it seems like they only ship FROM Canada.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but you only have half the story. I used DYK from USA to Canada. You set up a mailbox address through their system, get the package delivered to that address, they bring into Calgary office & you pick up there. That's the essence of their business model, full trucks take CDN parcels to border & ship USPS. Then rather than come back empty, they pick up parcels back into Calgary.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Called Border Bee and they're not interested in this type of business. Their focal is brokering and not transportation.
If I recall, there is a company in/near Calgary who specifically does both the brokering AND transportation...and does it routinely from Sweetgrass....anyone?

I'm not sure about private individual onsey-twosey orders. But I'd be interested in a name too. If you mean you anticipate like a side gig importing higher quantity of items, there are tons of transport / brokerage outfits. I used Coles in the past because they had a great flat rate fee that accommodated the types of materials I was bringing in. But the world changed, you now need a BN (business number) which gives you a GST number for them to fill in the requisite paperwork stuff. ie. they don't deal with Joe Blow. And via the BN you are now on CRA radar. If someone has more complete information or I'm wrong, please correct me.

Jimbojones

They seem to want to pander to those with volume and that just isn't me....but paying someone $150USD+ to ship a 6" chuck up here is plain robbery (considering they charge US customers $25...or nothing).
I think there is another answer out there so I'm hanging tight to watch it surface....

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm not understanding. Who is 'they'? A Calgary customs service? The outfit you are buying the chuck from using a 3rd party to deliver direct to Calgary?

Here is the DYK price link. A 300$ value chuck at 30 pounds delivered to your 'USA address' just as example would pay $20 + $8 = $28 for brokerage & weight respectively FOB Sweetgrass to Calgary.
https://www2.dykpost.com/canada-bound-shipping/

Attachments

• SNAG-3-13-2019 0001.jpg
    SNAG-3-13-2019 0001.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 0

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
DYK Post is my goto for having products brought across the border. Their office is just of 36th street, 5 minutes from my work so I can zip out at lunch. They used to go down 2 days a week, but in November started going 5 days a week. Yes, I can get it cheaper if I did some legwork, Yes I've gone across to Babb MT (Kinek), and that is a better deal IF I have 5-6 hours on a Saturday and multiple items. Driving myself is about $45 in fuel, plus taxes etc. I've never paid a brokerage fee going myself, or duty for that matter.

DYK is good for single package, single vendor (multiple vendors adds up on brokerage). I recently brought across a 4" vice from Shars, a dividing head + 5" chuck from Shars etc. (so some heavier items). The most I've paid for shipping is ~100 CDN (dividing head + chuck), due to weight and due to purchase price (I submitted real invoice -- but could have 'made up one' if I was inclined to.

Typically I email on Monday, have it be Friday (assuming that Montana mailbox had the parcel already).

My 10 cents.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
When I had my 60 lb sin table sent from MI, it cost $40 byFedex ground total.

When I got a 45lb order from Shars, I had them send via ground with Hercules transport, I think it was under $50.

I used to import 100kg drums of carbide from Tennesee, and I paid $100 from Yellow Freight, but that was some years ago. (perhaps 10).

I hope these observations help.

trlvn

Ultra Member
So I made a run from Oakville to Lewiston, NY, to pickup some more purchases. I ordered some end mill holders from Shars and a "Protobox" from Online Metals. My wife ordered some paper stock for her card-making hobby.

The US border was a pain--45 minutes. At NeedaUSAddress, I was charged USD $10 for each of the three packages as they were all over 3 pounds in weight. On the plus side, the Canadian border was a breeze with only two cars in front of me. Even better, when I told the border guard that I had 3 purchases totalling $181, he replied "Have a nice day!". No HST.

When I factor in that I spent about 3 hours and 200 kms of driving, this trip was barely worthwhile. The difference in shipping costs hardly offset my out of pocket costs. The only other advantage is that I could have the stuff in my hands in about 3 days versus probably 14 if it came by postal service.

Craig

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
So I made a run from Oakville to Lewiston, NY, to pickup some more purchases. I ordered some end mill holders from Shars and a "Protobox" from Online Metals. My wife ordered some paper stock for her card-making hobby.

The US border was a pain--45 minutes. At NeedaUSAddress, I was charged USD $10 for each of the three packages as they were all over 3 pounds in weight. On the plus side, the Canadian border was a breeze with only two cars in front of me. Even better, when I told the border guard that I had 3 purchases totalling $181, he replied "Have a nice day!". No HST.

When I factor in that I spent about 3 hours and 200 kms of driving, this trip was barely worthwhile. The difference in shipping costs hardly offset my out of pocket costs. The only other advantage is that I could have the stuff in my hands in about 3 days versus probably 14 if it came by postal service.

Craig
If I can ever help out let me know. I’m in and out of the USA pretty much on a weekly basis
Maybe there’s a supplier in Buffalo or Lewiston to skip the needusaaddress charges?