• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Shaper

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Probably, it you have the room for it. That's going to weigh a LOT. Is that a yard stick laid along the ram? Can't tell from the image.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Prema shapers were made in Sweden and highly regarded. The #2 is a nice size for a home shop, if it's in good shape I think it's a good deal.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I agree with all the above. A shaper is, well, a special tool that is not a great general purpose tool, but is really fun to use and watch. You can remove metal much faster with a horizontal mill of the same size, and do a lot more with a vertical mill that is fractionally bigger... It's big advantage is that you cna take advantage of HSS tool bits, and that is seriously cheaper than any of the alternatives.

That being said, this is in the Porshe range for shapers and if in good shape, especially with tooling, is a great deal.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
[QUOTE="Dabbler, post: 53948, member: 330"You can remove metal much faster with a horizontal mill of the same size, .[/QUOTE]

yeah, but the cutters are a heck of a lot easier to sharpen. :) . Their days are gone a commercial shop, but the negligible cost of tooling makes them attractive for the home shop imo - as you pointed out. I have vertical and horizontal mills, large and small....but still wish I had room for a shaper.

2QdMZY1.jpg

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yay I own a Porsche! So for lubrication, should I upgrade to what they guy has - 02 has 3 ports on each side of the shaper - lots of cables to run from the oiler.

OR

Opt out for 6x 50ml oiler cups that are filled manually? No cables to run.

Any ideas? Currently I have small brass nipples with capacity of like 1.5ml - not very good.

Also just to give you price idea I paid for mine, without cool oiling system around 1400 CAD few years ago. Probably like 1700 today money or more. And it was whole day of driving to pick it up.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Depends on how much you will use it.

My southbend 7" has the oil-pump -- I like it. My mill has the one-shot oiler -- not a fan.

My old lathe and power-hacksaw have the cups, and I prefer that (better evidence of consumption IMHO)