• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Setting tailstock option

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes I have seen that done too & even have an MT3x1.5? arbor to marry my BH to tailstock socket. I have yet to try it but its on my list.
Some precautions:
- the BH is set ideally level but more importantly remains in same position during turning
- the BH does not rotate on its arbor adapter
- the MT shank doesn't rotate within TS socket
- lock the BH gib once set so its kind to the BH displacement under side cutting force

One thing that doesn't get a lot of mention is that when you drill a 60-deg center in stock & then position it offset in TS on a 60-deg point, it can become a problem at increasing taper angles. Its best to use a parabolic center drill so the dead center cone is tangent on the surface.

trials20

Cobble Hill
Any offset tapers I have done always used a bell or radius center drill for between centers.
RadiusCenterDrill-3.jpg

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Any offset tapers I have done always used a bell or radius center drill for between centers.
RadiusCenterDrill-3.jpg
Never seen one of those before but it makes sense. Of course with a South Bend taper attachment on the big lathe and my ELS on the Gingery it's not needed. But nice to know that sort of things exists.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have few regrets in my life, but not getting a taper attachment when I had the opportunity to include it ranks up there. I'll solve it eventually.