• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Set screws for aluminum plate

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
The winner is.............. big drum roll !!!! ....... !!!!!! ......

Green PLA plugs, manufactured by ME. I got 100 percent refund for Grainger plastic set screws... Note to all, They are shit, don't ever buy them !!!

1674680952659.png

Last edited:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
back to the original question. (45 years of supplying aluminum and stainless steel valves in marine and pulp mill environments)

Yes, stainless steel and aluminum form a galvanic couple and will corrode. BUT, it’s not that simple. Relative mass also comes into play. Small area/mass of stainless in a large area/mass of aluminum is generally OK, stainless fasteners in aluminum boats work just fine.

Aluminum rivets in stainless sheet dissolve in weeks in offshore BC environments, stainless bolts in aluminum motor mounts last forever.

Brass set screws would also work fine.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
back to the original question. (45 years of supplying aluminum and stainless steel valves in marine and pulp mill environments)

Yes, stainless steel and aluminum form a galvanic couple and will corrode. BUT, it’s not that simple. Relative mass also comes into play. Small area/mass of stainless in a large area/mass of aluminum is generally OK, stainless fasteners in aluminum boats work just fine.

Aluminum rivets in stainless sheet dissolve in weeks in offshore BC environments, stainless bolts in aluminum motor mounts last forever.

Brass set screws would also work fine.

really, i would prefer not to cbore my thread engagement away... though it is in design already. And all the pretty colours on the plate.... LOL

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is it the perpetual flood/evaporation cycles of water based coolant in CNC that is causing the corrosion issue to begin with? Maybe coolants don't have a sufficiently high percentage of oily content in their emulsions which might help? Would these fastener/material combinations even be a concern in a bolted assembly in air? How about humid air? I always assumed it was salt water environment that aggravated the rate of corrosion, but maybe fresh water environments are similar. Chemistry is not my strong suite.

My only data point is model engines, predominantly aluminum allows & typically black oxide fasteners. Maybe its the oily/fuel environment that self protects, but the only time I see corrosion issues is a puddle of fuel. Methanol is hydroscopic & apparently many synthetic oils break down & become acidic? aggravating corrosion. Not sure if this is an issue on say gasoline burning oil pumped aluminum motorbike type engines? I don't think there are many aluminum or stainless bolts in there are there? Interesting stuff.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
3/8 aluminum plate with a 1/2 ss thru bolt, size on hole, so a tight fit

This is the result after about 4 years installed,dry exterior service, I had to hammer the bolt out the the plate it was stuck so bad, had it been threaded there would be nothing left

IMG_20230125_171733_585~2.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
3/8 aluminum plate with a 1/2 ss thru bolt, size on hole, so a tight fit
This is the result after about 4 years installed,dry exterior service, I had to hammer the bolt out the the plate it was stuck so bad, had it been threaded there would be nothing left

Amazing. I'm going to pay more attention to this. I've read about some post-crash FS aircraft horror stories where the wrong fastener or was used & became the failure mechanism. Some were over-houred but others were corrosion related. It was a bit disturbing because it was traced to countries buying well used jets near the end of useful life, parked in humid salt air conditions & questionable repair/maintenance using black market parts. I didn't quite the gist of it but apparently the parts are supposed to be destroyed. But somehow they found their way into Uncle Eddy's Pik'N-Part. Time bombs waiting for unsuspecting passengers. I'm not afraid if airplanes or flying, but I m afraid of certain humans that f*ck with airplanes.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Some kind of corrosion inhibitor/insulator goes a long way in preventing this type of damage, this is just what happens in a seemingly innocent connection between al and stainless

@PeterT Do airplanes use stainless fasteners in the airframe ? I wouldn't have thought so given the weight of stainless, work hardening and possible corrosion issues ?

Anyways I thought it prudent to post some photographic real world evidence as there seems to be some skepticism about this topic, repairs relating to this type of corrosion are something I've delt with many times in the past...and I'm sure in the future!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do airplanes use stainless fasteners in the airframe ? I wouldn't have thought so given the weight of stainless, work hardening and possible corrosion issues ?

I'm just a model builder, maybe some FS guys can weigh in. I thought stainless was used but cant say where or in combination with what material. I see NAS spec all the time which relates to strength & other parameters, but links refers to some alloy compositions including stainless. Maybe the key thing is coating?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm just a model builder, maybe some FS guys can weigh in. I thought stainless was used but cant say where or in combination with what material. I see NAS spec all the time which relates to strength & other parameters, but links refers to some alloy compositions including stainless. Maybe the key thing is coating?

i dont know either, but maybe when stainless is used a corrosion inhibitor is required by regs, and maybe required to be checked during the annual, just guesses

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Here is an example on corrosion seized components. This is the housing I am making with the shaft stuck in. It or the screws will not ever come out... This is a car part, and might have been subjected to salt. I chose to make my multicolored plastic plugs. each color represents different size or purpose. For my night shift tonight, I will clean all the swarf out of the plate, install the 3/8 dowel plugs (already made). Next will be to cut the additional C-Bores, engrave letters and numbers.. and print the multicolored plugs......

Attachments

• DSCN1137.JPG
    DSCN1137.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 1674780248786.png
    1674780248786.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 1674780358426.png
    1674780358426.png
    215.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
oh man that is a lot of tapped holes, how many hours do you figure you have in that plate ?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
oh man that is a lot of tapped holes, how many hours do you figure you have in that plate ?
Time is not relevant when retired... drilling 1350 holes was about 8 hours, thread-milling about 5 hours. Tapping was done in sessions divided over 3 days, with a cordless drill. I will be adding to my original thread later with the whole story....

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Time is not relevant when retired... drilling 1350 holes was about 3 hours, thread-milling about 3 hours. Tapping was done in sessions divided over 3 days, with a cordless drill. I will be adding to my original thread later with the whole story....

oh thats not as bad as i thought! 6 hours split up over a few days would hardly be noticeable

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
oh thats not as bad as i thought! 6 hours split up over a few days would hardly be noticeable
sorry I changed it...... Machine drilled about 8 hours max. Thread-milling 5 hours. Finish tapping was done over 3 days in 3 hour sessions, so about 9 hours manual work.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@ShawnR and @Marc Moreau should be able to comment on this.....

Most of the hardware is plated steel but there is a fair amount of stainless fasteners. From what I have seen, all screws are stainless, think fairings and interior panels, and bolts are plated . See excerpt below from the Aircraft Spruce link posted above

"....Hex head aircraft bolts are made of high-strength type 4037 or 8740 alloy steel (type 8740 is most commonly used). The bolts are centerless ground and threaded after heat treatment. Minimum tensile strength 125,000 PSI. Cadmium plated per specification QQ-P-416A, Type II, Class 3....."