• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Searching for shop manual for: 1988 King Canada KC1030GH Metal Lathe

cmack9

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. As the title of this post might suggest, I am working on setting up this King Canada lathe and familiarizing myself with the basics of lathe operation. It being a machine on the older side, I cannot seem to find a shop manual or spec sheet for this machine anywere. It's as if it did not exist! I guess that's what happens when you own a lathe built before the internet. Anyway, if anyone is familiar with this machine, I would much appreciate any reading materials/specs/shop manuals etc you have on this unit. Hopefully we can dig something up that will assist other owners of this model.

Thanks for your help!

Colin

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome aboard, Colin.

I would contact King Canada directly. They may have an old dusty manual somewhere for you.

Another option might be to post pictures of your lathe and then people here could possibly cross reference something from another manufacturer like Grizzly, Craftex, etc.

cmack9

Welcome aboard, Colin.

I would contact King Canada directly. They may have an old dusty manual somewhere for you.

Another option might be to post pictures of your lathe and then people here could possibly cross reference something from another manufacturer like Grizzly, Craftex, etc.

Thanks for the message RobinHood! Unfortunately I have tried that and their service department basically says anything before 2000 they cannot help me with. I will upload some photos.

gerritv

Gerrit
The King KC1022ML is very close to the Grizzly G0602, you might have some luck at that site.

Gerrit

gerritv

Gerrit
In the absence of a manual it is still a decently capable machine? Swing and bed length dimensions might help to narrow the search. There might be a similar design on lathes.co.uk but that is tedious to go through all the lathes.

The chart on the front tells you all the important stuff, spindle speeds and feed/threading specifics. Generally speaking the manuals don't add a lot.
The chart on front shows you have a reversible lead screw, forward/reverse spindle rotation, can't tell what the top rh knob does.

I would clean all the surfaces with paint thinners or WD40, drain the gear box and refill with gear oil from CTC. Way oil on the ways. That only leaves spindle lubrication to ponder. Are there fittings above the spindle (on top surface) for oiling?

Did it come with any gears? What does it look like inside the lh panel?

Gerrit