Searching for a Semiconductor for my CNC?

Richard Tymko

I have a 3040 CNC and my probe stopped working. I am guessing it is the semiconductor that is malfunctioning.

The part number is EL817C548.

Does anyone know of any Alberta suppliers or hobbyists that might be able to have replacement parts?

Thanks,

Richard

Lightning Rod

its common to sell these types of parts on a reel or in a tube with a high minimum.
Gone are the days where you can walk into a hobby store and buy one or two pcs for the most part
but there are exceptions still
If you are comfortable sorting thru datasheets you may find an alternative where
you can purchase 1 or 2, even from Mouser or Digi-Key and Sayal

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a 3040 CNC and my probe stopped working. I am guessing it is the semiconductor that is malfunctioning.

The part number is EL817C548.

Does anyone know of any Alberta suppliers or hobbyists that might be able to have replacement parts?

Thanks,

Richard

I will check my stash tonight. If I have one I'll PM you for your address and mail it.

That said, those chips seldom fail. Did you check the connections, and the signal? As I recall, they were usually used to isolate a signal on two voltage sources. If I don't have one and you can't find one, you could make one out of an LED/Photo Transistor pair. But I'd hold off doing that till you exhaust the other options.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Opto couplers are pretty generic. Just about any one with matching pinouts should work.
They are pretty robust and seldom fail.
Which controller board do you have?

Lightning Rod

I spent some time looking thru the Mouser site and have found a possible replacement
where you can purchase a minimum of one piece and it's in stock

also i Have attached the two data sheets. It's a close match but I took electronics in college
43 years ago. I'm sure I missed something along the way

Maybe an electronics guru on this site can confirm my analysis by comparing the two datasheets

Richard, please confirm the pin type as per the mouser link as thru-hole

Attachments

• REN Photocoupler.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 1
  • EL817.pdf
    434.5 KB · Views: 1

gerritv

Gerrit
Far more likely that the contacts are dirty or corroded. Or a loose connection. If this is the 'usual' design there are 6 balls, if any of those is dirty/corroded the probe stops working. Ditto with the 3 rods on the spider. Even Renishaw probes fail this way eventually/occasionally.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Far more likely that the contacts are dirty or corroded. Or a loose connection. If this is the 'usual' design there are 6 balls, if any of those is dirty/corroded the probe stops working. Ditto with the 3 rods on the spider. Even Renishaw probes fail this way eventually/occasionally.

Yup, Susquatch's Rule of Thumb for electrical electronic problems is: "Connections Connections Connections. Always check the Connections before looking elsewhere."

That is particularly true for anything with contacts.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Yup, Susquatch's Rule of Thumb for electrical electronic problems is: "Connections Connections Connections. Always check the Connections before looking elsewhere."

That is particularly true for anything with contacts.
My variant on your rule susquatch is “the dirt theory.” It’s broken because of dirt some where some how.