• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Searching for 14" Lathe

tkalxx

(Adam)
Hi all,
I have a 12" atlas lathe that I'm looking to upgrade. I've kept my eyes on Kijiji/marketplace for a while without any luck - lathes get snatched up quick, or my search queries miss something. I'm fine patiently waiting for something to pop up, but I'm hoping there is a member here who is looking to sell, or might know someone.

I'm specifically looking for something in the 13-14" range with 40" between centers and max rpm of at least 1800. A Standard Modern 1340 would be amazing, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm located in Edmonton, and would be willing to travel within Alberta or have it shipped if the lathe is right.

Let me know if you have anything! Thanks, Adam.

tkalxx

(Adam)
Thanks to @RobinHood I was able to pick up a much-desired lathe of mine. It's a metric lathe that he made imperial change gears for. Overall in great condition with lots of accessories including a taper attachment, steady rest, 4J and 3J, CXA tool post, DRO, and a homemade 5C collet drawbar.

@RobinHood was great to deal with and a huge help loading it onto the trailer today. I really enjoyed getting a tour of his shop - so many cool machines I could only wish to own one day.

PXL_20210529_193923005.jpg

PXL_20210530_005446232.jpg

All that's left is to give it a good clean, move it to its final resting place, and wire it up!

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Knowing who you got it from, a good clean will not be required.....

Congrats on the lathe acquisition!

tkalxx

(Adam)
Knowing who you got it from, a good clean will not be required.....

Congrats on the lathe acquisition!
Thank you!

You're right... more so the tiny amount of dust collected from its drive up hwy 2 made it filthy compared to how it left @RobinHood's shop.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Your first pic had me thinking you bought a machine with no tail stock. :p Congrats on a good looking machine

tkalxx

(Adam)
Your first pic had me thinking you bought a machine with no tail stock. :p Congrats on a good looking machine

Hahaha they have a reputation for missing tailstocks around here I guess. I'm sure anyone who knows RobinHood will know that if his lathe didn't have a tailstock he would design and make one himself that outperforms the factory original.

Thanks to @RobinHood
All that's left is to give it a good clean, move it to its final resting place, and wire it up!

First look at your pic and I thought I wish mine was as clean as that when I got mine! I think I'll be lucky if mine looks as clean as that after I'm finished cleaning it up! LOL

congrats on the lathe!

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for all the compliments, appreciate them! It served me well for the 6 years it was in my shop.

As I mentioned to @tkalxx , we were getting ready to soon (later this year) move it to the new shop (which is still under construction on the inside) when we decided to sell it as I have 3 other lathes.

Adam was looking specifically for a SM1340 (post#1), the case was clear: we are going to move it onto a trailer instead so it can go to a new home.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
tklaxx - It's all in the timing, you put out the "I want one" just when just when someone was thinking about selling. I don't believe there's any chance you'll be disappointed with the machine especially considering where it comes from.
Well done to you both.