• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Scroll saw revival

Tom O

Ultra Member
I bought a scrollsaw last year from the used KMS section for 50 bucks the table was missing the hold down clamp that lets it tilt.

09017497-8884-46A9-8DCD-07E0929F2B68.jpeg

I finally got around to making the part it took about 5 hours though using a 1/2” roughing then a 1/2” ball and finished off with a 3/8” ball endmill with a .005 thou step over.

4ABA9160-7E00-48FC-8632-A0606DE5C9B3.jpeg

However it wouldn’t tilt very far and was modified as shown below this gives me about 30 degrees and is good enough for me. The other holes were for fixing it to a 3/8” piece of aluminum because the cutter rolls over the edge and down the side and using a ball endmill it travels past the machining level due to its radius.

59AD68E9-3835-4732-AF4E-957A65C310D9.jpeg

Now I just need a blade for it.

1B37565E-F824-4521-84DA-E1D760E85BCA.jpeg

Chipper5783

That is a very nice tool. I especially like that you were able to get it with the stand and belt guard. I have the equivalent offering from Atlas Press.

I made a new lower blade chuck several years ago for the previous owner - after a couple years he was at a point in his life that he wanted to down size his shop a bit, and the saw came to me. All I have ever cut is SM foam (the long blade, good sized table and deep throat are very nice). I have enough other gear, that I'm rarely stuck for how to cut something - still this machine adds to the fleet a bit. I'd like to re-power it (different ratios and a VFD) as it is too fast for most of what I think I would use it for. I also need a belt guard and proper top blade chuck.

I have not found an official source for blades (I may have one well used original style). Most of the blades I have are various cut downs of other blades - either due to availability or a certain application. With the adjust-ability of the top head, and the way the chucks grip - it can handle quite a range of different cutting tools.

I was able to track down some documents for the Atlas saw. Perhaps they are similar, useful for your saw.

Attachments

• DSCF0089.JPG
    DSCF0089.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0090.JPG
    DSCF0090.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0091.JPG
    DSCF0091.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0092.JPG
    DSCF0092.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0093.JPG
    DSCF0093.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Atlas Scroll Saw Document.pdf
    414 KB · Views: 0
  • Atlas Scroll Saw info.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0

Tom O

Ultra Member
That is a very nice tool. I especially like that you were able to get it with the stand and belt guard. I have the equivalent offering from Atlas Press.

I made a new lower blade chuck several years ago for the previous owner - after a couple years he was at a point in his life that he wanted to down size his shop a bit, and the saw came to me. All I have ever cut is SM foam (the long blade, good sized table and deep throat are very nice). I have enough other gear, that I'm rarely stuck for how to cut something - still this machine adds to the fleet a bit. I'd like to re-power it (different ratios and a VFD) as it is too fast for most of what I think I would use it for. I also need a belt guard and proper top blade chuck.

I have not found an official source for blades (I may have one well used original style). Most of the blades I have are various cut downs of other blades - either due to availability or a certain application. With the adjust-ability of the top head, and the way the chucks grip - it can handle quite a range of different cutting tools.

I was able to track down some documents for the Atlas saw. Perhaps they are similar, useful for your saw.

I bought some blades at KMS Tools they have reverse teeth on the bottom of the blade to give a smooth cut instead of tearing it out.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I finished off this project by making a new blade plug for it. I used the tape and superglue holding method that works good by the way after wiping the surfaces with acetone.

9510040D-F916-4622-AE27-5399B96B2936.jpeg

B25EFCD0-9E25-4D18-A0D5-469C289BF3F0.jpeg

Tom O

Ultra Member
Thanks Alexander, The hard part is trying to model it using Bobcad and having to learn how their system flows!